GUI not working properly on LineChartView

Hi, I’m new to ParaView and I’m following the tutorials given in the textbook provided on the website.
I’m using Ubuntu Mate 20.4 and my version of Paraview is 5.9 (the latest, I think).

Following Exercise 2.14 (plot over a line in space) I get a weird GUI problem: the line plotted looks discontinuous and trembles when I place my mouse on it.
I attached a video below.

Do you know if there is a way to fix this problem? Thank you in advance

paraview-issue.mkv (1.2 MB)

This looks like some kind of driver issue.

Could you paste the content of the Help → About dialog ?

Hi Mathieu, thank you for your time.
Sure, here it is:

Client Information:
Version: 5.9.0
VTK Version:
Qt Version: 5.12.9
vtkIdType size: 64bits
Embedded Python: On
Python Library Path: /home/francop/bin/ParaView-5.9.0-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8
Python Library Version: 3.8.6 (default, Jan 23 2021, 18:21:19) [GCC 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5)]
Python Numpy Support: On
Python Numpy Path: /home/francop/bin/ParaView-5.9.0-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/numpy
Python Numpy Version: 1.19.2
Python Matplotlib Support: On
Python Matplotlib Path: /home/francop/bin/ParaView-5.9.0-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib
Python Matplotlib Version: 3.2.1
Python Testing: Off
MPI Enabled: On
Disable Registry: Off
Test Directory:
Data Directory:
OpenGL Vendor: nouveau
OpenGL Version: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.2.6
OpenGL Renderer: NV106

Connection Information:
Remote Connection: No

Is this what you were looking for?

Yes.

nouveau should work but is not highly tested. Could you try with nvidia or mesa instead ?

Unfortunatley I don’t know how to do it. May I ask you what OpenGL Vendor means? And how can I change it to Nvidia or Mesa?

This is related to your graphic drivers.

On linux mint, installing nvidia proprietary drivers is actually quite easy, see here:

Thank you Mathieu, now it works perfectly.

For those who will be interested in the topic in the future, I briefly report how the problem was fixed (using Ubuntu Mate 20.04):

1. In the upper panel go to System
  2. In the System Menu go to Preferences > Hardware > Additional Drivers
  3. Now, a list of all the available driver should appear. I selected NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-460 (proprietary, tested)
  4. Click Apply Changes and on pop up windows always press next.
  5. When the installation finishes, restart Ubuntu.

Now everything work as expected.

Thank you again Mathieu for your time and for being so quick.

1 Like

@ben.boeckel: FYI, nouveau not working properly.