Help with building Paraview for remote access

Ok I understand that I might come across as dumb and partially clueless in this question, but I’m completely lost with all the material as I’m not very experienced with this stuff.

Long story short, I’m trying to set up Paraview 5.4 (needs to be 5.4) with OpenFOAM to be run via remote access (X2Go), but Paraview refuses to launch with any of the following commands:

paraview
paraview --mesa
paraview --mesa-llvm

In each case, it just simply prints to the console output:

Aborted (core dumped)

and nothing else. If I try however:

paraview --mesa-swr

I get the following:

libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-5.x/ParaView-5.4.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 831
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x562111f55290): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-5.x/ParaView-5.4.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 816
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x562111f55290): failed to create offscreen window

ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-5.x/ParaView-5.4.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 819
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x562111f55290): GLEW could not be initialized.

and when Paraview launches it says my OpenGL drivers don’t support the required OpenGL features for basic rending (with OpenGL Vendor, Version & Rendered all blank).

Running glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" yields (when remote accessing via X2Go):

OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 20.0.8

I’ve seen from various posts that 3.2 is required, and seen information about building Paraview with the latest drivers, but I’m honestly completely lost.

I’m on Ubuntu 18.04 with nvidia-driver-455 installed, and I’ve been building Paraview using these instructions: https://openfoam.org/download/source/third-party-software/

Please do let me know if this isn’t really a Paraview question and isn’t appropriate here. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very very much appreciated. The reason I’m trying to sort this remotely is because I’m installing it (OpenFOAM/Paraview) for someone else to access in a separate session so I can still use the machine for my own work simultaneously.

Make sure your GPU drivers are correctly installed, check with glxinfo.

They are, however they are not used through X2Go since 3D acceleration isn’t supported

Right, I missed this part.

Did you compile or download ParaView ?