HFSS Electromagnetic Import into Paraview?

Paraview is great for 3D visualization of data. Thank you for making such an excellent program availible. Thank you for working on Paraview.

I was curious if there was method to export solved data and meshes from HFSS, and import them into Paraview for electromagnetic fields, timesteps, and current distribution–that kind of thing. Personally, I had wondered about the movement of vector fields, over time.

If someone has had decent results, and there is a referring page, or a Wiki, that would also be great. I had looked at HFSS, and was unsure of an import/export workflow.

[Also, it is my hope that the open-source community will continue their efforts to answer the challenge of making a robust electromagnetic solver, as was an aerodynamic solver was done.]

(Thank you.)

ParaView supports a great number of format, you just need to find one that you HFSS software can export to. Which format can you export to ?

@mwestphal , thanks for the reply.

So far, the only viable export I have seen was Ensight, though it errors out, with the following error. I think that the mesh data is elsewhere. Hmm

I think that Ansys really doesn’t want us doing this. I am hoping that someday, there will be an open-source alternative to HFSS, I watch OpenEMS, perhaps someday.

Still, it would be cool to see electromagnetic waves in Paraview’s tetahedrialized volumetric rendering.

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx, line 260
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000023A689F0630): stat failed.

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx, line 365
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000023A689F0630): Unable to open file: C:\Users\BEM\Documents\HFSS\/"Ensight

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightReader.cxx, line 297
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000023A689F0630): error reading geometry file

ERROR: In C:\glr\builds\paraview\paraview-ci\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 753
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0000023A0C3FD980): Algorithm vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader(0000023A689F0630) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0000023A0C4DE0E0)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 439490
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

You may be able to edit the case file to make it work in ParaView.

I am not sure what version of HFSS you were using when you had problems. In the 2024 release, I haven’t had any issues when exporting Ensight .case files from HFSS and importing them into ParaView.