How can I plot a result over time on a moving point

Hi,
My problem is this one:
I have a moving geometry and an adaptative mesh. I would like to measure the pressure over time on a certain point: so I use Probe Location, then I select the Point I just created and then plot selection over time. But here is the thing, I don’t know how to make my point moving with the same moving law of my geometry in order to measure the pressure at the same place of my volume at each time step.
Is it possible?
Thank’s for your help

If the point in question is part of your geometry:

• Edit → FindData → SelectYourPoint by ID
  • ExtractSelection

My point is created with Probe Location, the point is not part of the simulation.
Does it work all the same?

No, it doesn’t. Your simulation is moving, ParaView cannot “track” it for you. Do you know how your point is supposed to be moved ?

Yes indeed, I have the moving law of my geometry and I would like to apply it to the point aswell

Not trivial but using the animation view you can make the point coordinate evolve over time.

1 Like

Thank you very much I’m going to try it!

Awesome, thank you it seems to work, the fact is just I have a huge amount of values, do you know if there is a way to automate the filling of the table?
But thank you anyway! :slight_smile:

Sadly not.

If you have some data on disk, you should better read the positions with ParaView and use RessampleWithDataSet instead of probe point.

Sorry but I don’t understand how to do it, how can I read the positions with Paraview for example?

File → Open

Yes I understand but I only have a moving _law.txt and my group of VTU files, I don’t understand what I should do with the resamplewithdataset filter and my moving law to follow my result on a specific point

please share moving_law.txt

Here it is
moving_law.txt (123.3 KB)

So you need either to create your own reader providing this data as a temporal dataset or you need to preprocess it to make it compatible with paraview.

Both approach are fine and not that complexm the first one is simpler if you know python and use a ProgrammableSource in paraview.

Ok thank you, I’m not a programmer at all, but I’ll try, but I’m not sure to understand the aim of creating what you’re calling a “reader” whereas I have already the .txt file opened on paraview

Because the text reader in paraview will not provide a temporal dataset.

Ok, thank you, last question: is the point I have to move with ProgrammableSource is still a point created by Probe Location?

No, the ProgrammableSource will read the file from disk and create the points. See here:
https://docs.paraview.org/en/latest/ReferenceManual/pythonProgrammableFilter.html#recipes-for-programmable-source