How to compute contours in parallel?

I have been working on porting OpenFOAM to Catalyst V2 and I am building up my Catalyst pipeline script. I want to visualise drop break-up from an injection point. Please see the renderings below. I have since then reproduced the issue with client-server mode and reading distributed data from files.

I have a scalar field representing a volume fraction and would like to compute iso-surfaces across processor boundaries. Currently I am doing the following combinations of classes from paraview.simple:

1. CellDatatoPointData,
  2. Contour,
  3. MergeBlocks,
  4. Connectivity.

The calculation of contours occurs independently on each rank and creates holes in the surfaces. Is there a way to coordinate this calculation somehow without significant change to the Python scripting?

My intention is to do it on hundreds or even thousands of similar objects so I want to make sure I have a good grasp of what’s happening. Thanks.

Visualisation in serial

Visualisation in parallel (4 ranks)

EDIT: I have renamed and moved it to ParaView Support as I am reproducing the same issue with paraview-pvserver (no Catalyst).

Ok. I may have made some progress, but if you could advise, I would appreciate.

I believe my problem is related to working with unstructured grids and the lack automatic ghost cell regions. Reading the docs I have been reminded of D3 filter. Plugging it to my data source forces a re-partition and I get a fairly satisfactory decomposition.

I would like to avoid re-partitioning though. The docs mention ghost cell generator which looks like what I am looking for, but it remains inactive when my data source is selected.

I am surprised that the amount of ghost levels doesn’t seem to affect the results. Even 0 produces watertight(?) surfaces. Another surprising behaviour is that even when surfaces are not watertight connectivity filter seems to work. The surface looks like a Star Wars Death Star about to explode, but it is still marked as a single region.

D3 vs no D3 comparison

Apologies, this is now looking like a mind dump, but writing the previous post I had an epiphany and changed the order of my filters. The reason why ghost cell generator filter wasn’t active was due to multi-block data structure of my data source. Now my filter order is:

1. MergeBlocks
  2. GhostCellGenerator
  3. CellDatatoPointData (with Piece Invariant checked)
  4. Contour
  5. Connectivity

And it produces good looking surfaces.

Please advise if you think this is still somehow inefficient or may cause issues with accuracy when a number of objects increases substantially. Otherwise, I hope someone may find these notes helpful.