How to do an animation from a fluent .cas & .dat (steady simulation) in Paraview 5.10.1?

Hello everyone!

I’m fairly new to Paraview, and I’m having some challenges with doing a simulation when importing fluent data. I have done my fair share of reading, but I just cannot make it work!

flow.case.cas (458.4 KB)
flow.dat (470.8 KB)

I have exported both .cas & .dat from ANSYS Fluent (steady simulation) and I’m able to open it in Paraview only after removing the following statements from the .dat file:

(0 “SV_DPM_PARTITION, domain 1, cell zone 2, 2481 cells:”)
(3300 (420 2 1 0 1 1 2481)
*( *
End of Binary Section 3300))

Now I can preview all parameters that I need, but how can I create an animation in Paraview 5.10.1?

When I open the .cas in Paraview (Using the Fluent Case Reader) I can do the basics (Slice when doing 3D or ‘Reflect’ when importing a 2D symmetric simulation) but I cannot run a simulation on either case nor applying Stream Tracer.

I have also tried using CGNS, and I can do all of the basics too, but no animation.

Please let me know your comments! I could surely use the help!

Thank you!

Please use the last release of ParaView , 5.11.1

how can I create an animation in Paraview

It looks like your data does not contain timesteps.
What would you like to animate ?

I cannot run a simulation

ParaView is not a simulation software. What are you trying to do exactly ?

applying Stream Tracer.

It looks like your data does not contain anything but a surface and no data.

I think you have an data export issue.

Hello Mathieu!

Thank you so much for your prompt response, let me get to your comments right away:

Please use the last release of ParaView , 5.11.1

I’ll migrate to latest release 5.11.1 and try again.

It looks like your data does not contain timesteps.

What would you like to animate ?

Yes, after a few hours of trial and error, I realized that I can only animate transient simulations and not steady ones. The process I am following is: Running Transient Simulation and Exporting CGNS or .cas & .dat, → delete the “420” statement from the .dat, → Opening the data in Paraview for visualization.

ParaView is not a simulation software. What are you trying to do exactly ?

Correct, I used the wrong wording here. I meant “Simulate”.
My goals are 2 with Paraview at the moment:

1. Animate contours of velocity, temperature and pressure for 2D geometries.
  2. Animate 3D geometries using Stream Tracer. (I’m on the same position, I have realized I need Transient Simulations) because when applying Stream Tracer, the geometry disappears from the console.

Thank you Mathieu, I’ll give it another shot today and I hope I’ll get back to you with a positive outcome!

You can animate even non transient simulation using the time manager.

Thanks Mathieu,

You can animate even non transient simulation using the time manager.

Now, this caught my attention. I’ve tried animating steady simulations but when using the time manager, it just runs for 1 -2 seconds and nothing happens. How can I make it work? So far I’ve been unlucky with my 2D geometries. I can definitely see the contours of each variable, but no animation so far.

I cna help but please share a better dataset. The one on top is just a 2d surface without data.

I’m not really sure how to export time steps from steady simulations… I have exported this CGNS from Fluent (Steady Simulation) and I have opened in Paraview. No animation, but I can see the Velocity Magnitude contours as point arrays.

FFF-1-02000.dat.gz.cgns (210.0 KB)

No clue on how to provide a better dataset. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

.dat.gz.cgns

What format is that ? I’m unable to open that in ParaView I’m afraid.

Hi Mathieu,

.dat.gz.cgns

It’s the solution data from fluent. But, here’s the individual .cas & .dat for this simulation.

But below, you can find attached the .cas & .dat from Fluent (Steady Simulation)

FFF.cas (458.2 KB)
FFF.dat (413.3 KB)

With these .case & .dat I can see the contours of pressure, temperature, velocity, and some other parameters. (As seen below)

I have removed the “420” statement from the .dat already.

(0 “SV_DPM_PARTITION, domain 1, cell zone 2, 2481 cells:”)
(3300 (420 2 1 0 1 1 2481)
*( *
End of Binary Section 3300))

But honestly, it just seems that the Steady Simulation will only provide ‘frozen’ data on each parameter. No clue how to move forward.

Maybe with the EnSight Case Gold data?

FFF.encas (243 Bytes)
FFF.geo (152.7 KB)
FFF.scl1 (24.5 KB)
FFF.vel (71.5 KB)
FFF.xml (889 Bytes)

I’m able to open the .cas/.dat, but the data is just a surface. Do you want to animates streamlines on the surface ?

Hi Mathieu,

Thank you for reaching back! Correct, my intention is to animate streamlines on the surface (if possible).

Something like that ?

streams.pvsm (706.1 KB)

Hi Mathieu,

Thank you, but unfortunately no. Due to this issue, I’ve been diving into OpenFoam more and more for the past weeks and, this is what I was trying to accomplish with the data from Fluent. (See the video below)

Now, the behavior is not as expected, I still need to find a way set my boundary conditions properly in OpenFoam (Setting Inlet Pressure, Temperature, outlet pressure, etc). If you have any recommendation on where to start, that would be amazing.

But basically, this is what I had in mind.

Edit: I added the “Setting Inlet Pressure, … etc.”

Your file does not contain the data shown in the video. You have OpenFOAM questions, not ParaView questions.

Correct. What I was trying to accomplish cannot be done with Steady Simulations. It needs Transient Simulation in order to gather the necessary data to run the animation in Paraview.

I’ll surf the OpenFOAM forums.

Thanks!

1 Like