How to get values along a particle trajectory?

(Mariana Rodriguez) #1

Hello,
I want to compute and get certain magnitudes (saved in my exodus file) following particles in Preview.
Could someone please help on how to do this?
I know how to follow particles, but I don’t know how to get data along its trajectory.
Thank you!

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #2

Hello,

Can you give a bit more explanation on what you want to do, with some data and/or screenshots ?

(Mariana Rodriguez) #3

Hello,

I have an exodus file that contains pressure temperature, velocities, etc.

I need to track a particle along its trajectory and I need to obtain what is the pressure and the temperature along its trajectory. To then do a plot of the pressure and temperature along the movement of the particles.

I know how to get particle trajectories in Paraview, but I don’t know how to record data along the particle movement along its trajectory.

I know paraview con color a trajectory based on other quantity data, such as velocity etc, because in the webpage there are plots showing that.

Basically I need that data not by color scale along the path, I need it quantitatively, for instance, pressure over time, temperature over time along the particle trajectory starting from time=zero.

Is this clearer?

Thanks a lot!

Mariana

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #4

If your dataset is static : StreamTracer
If your dataset has timesteps : Particle Path or Particle Tracer.

(Mariana Rodriguez) #5

Thanks for your reply.
My data has time steps. I know how to draw trajectories using particle path.

My question to you is:

How can I get the time varying data along a particle path?

In my case I need pressure and temperature along the particle trajectory.

Is there any way to get that particular data?

Thank you very much in advance!

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #6

If the data is present in the volume, the data should be present in the particle trajectory.

(Mariana Rodriguez) #7

Thanks for your reply. Agree.

My question to you is:

how can I get the data along the trajectory? Is the any filter, script, etc that can display the data along the trajectory only?

For instance, a filter that display pressure over time for a particular trajectory or particle?

Thanks!

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #8
  • Select the cell corresponding to the particle you are interested
  • Add an Extract Selection Filter, Apply
  • Create a new view, Line Chart View
  • Show the extract selection filter in the new view.

(Mariana Rodriguez) #9

Hi, Thank you for your reply.
What you suggest is not what I want.
I want to track a particle along its motion. Therefore the position of that particle is not constant over time.
I know how to draw a trajectory. I want to know what certain properties saved in the exodus, vary for that particle over time.
Is this clearer?
THanks!

(Mathieu Westphal (Kitware)) #10

It is clear to me and should be done via the steps I explained.

If you provide a dataset, I can generate a state file.