How to interpolate data to specific points

Hi there! I have a 3D data result from a simulation in a .vtu format (3D mesh using tetrahedrons) and I’d like to interpolate a scalar field in that .vtu to a table of specific N coordinates that I already know but do not coincide with the nodes of the mesh.

In other words I have a set of points (x1,y1,z1) to (xN,yN,zN) where I’d like to have the values of a scalar field in the .vtu file.

How can I do that?

Thanks!

It sounds like a job for Resample With Dataset. If your points are in either an unstructured or poly data set, you can use Resample With Dataset to get the field values of one data set at the points of another data set.

You never said where your points come from. If they come from a csv file, you can load the csv file, run the Table to Points filter to generate the 3D dataset, and then Resample With Dataset to get the field values at those points. You can then write out the results as another csv file if you like.

Thanks!! I have the coordinates where I want to plot the sacalar field in an .csv file (x,y,z) columns. How can I write out the results as another csv file once I’ve finished the first part? (data to points and then resample with dataset)

Thanks!

Just select Save Data pqSave and choose to save as a csv.

thanks!! you saved my life