how to quote the use of Paraview

Hello,

I am finishing a master’s work and I would like to know how to quote the use of Paraview software in the generation of figures, since it is free software.
What should I quote from the software?

@nayla_salvador, thanks for asking.

If you navigate to the Publications Page of ParaView’s web site, it gives a couple of publications you can cite to acknowledge ParaView.

1 Like

@Kenneth_Moreland The link is no longer active. I would like to cite ParaView and Catalyst v2. Thank you.

That’s a great question, @CsatiZoltan. It looks like that page was dropped in a recent redesign. I made a request to bring it back.

Until then, here are some references. The reference I usually use for ParaView is

James Ahrens, Berk Geveci, and Charles Law. “ParaView: An End-User Tool for Large Data Visualization.” In Visualization Handbook. Elesvier, 2005. ISBN 978-0123875822.

For the original version of Catalyst, I usually use:

Utkarsh Ayachit, Andrew Bauer, Berk Geveci, Patrick O’Leary, Kenneth Moreland, Nathan Fabian, and Jeffrey Mauldin. “ParaView Catalyst: Enabling In Situ Data Analysis and Visualization.” In Proceedings of the First Workshop on In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-Scale Analysis and Visualization (ISAV 2015) (pp. 25–29). 2015. DOI 10.1145/2828612.2828624.

This paper describes the Catalyst version 2 redesign:

Utkarsh Ayachit, , Andrew C. Bauer, Ben Boeckel, Berk Geveci, Kenneth Moreland, Patrick O’Leary, and Tom Osika. “Catalyst Revised: Rethinking the ParaView in Situ Analysis and Visualization API.” . In High Performance Computing (pp. 484–494). 2021. DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-90539-2_33.

Here is the BibTeX for all of those publications.

@InCollection{ParaView,
  author    = {James Ahrens and Berk Geveci and Charles Law},
  booktitle = {Visualization Handbook},
  publisher = {Elesvier},
  title     = {{ParaView}: An End-User Tool for Large Data Visualization},
  year      = {2005},
  note      = {{ISBN}~978-0123875822},
}

@InProceedings{Ayachit2015,
  author    = {Utkarsh Ayachit and Andrew Bauer and Berk Geveci and Patrick O'Leary and Kenneth Moreland and Nathan Fabian and Jeffrey Mauldin},
  title     = {ParaView Catalyst: Enabling In Situ Data Analysis and Visualization},
  booktitle = {Proceedings of the First Workshop on In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-Scale Analysis and Visualization (ISAV 2015)},
  year      = {2015},
  pages     = {25--29},
  month     = {November},
  doi       = {10.1145/2828612.2828624},
}

@InProceedings{Ayachit2021,
  author    = {Ayachit, Utkarsh and Bauer, Andrew C. and Boeckel, Ben and Geveci, Berk and Moreland, Kenneth and O'Leary, Patrick and Osika, Tom},
  booktitle = {High Performance Computing},
  title     = {Catalyst Revised: Rethinking the ParaView in Situ Analysis and Visualization {API}},
  year      = {2021},
  month     = jun,
  pages     = {484--494},
  doi       = {10.1007/978-3-030-90539-2_33},
}
2 Likes

Hi, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Indeed, we need to bring back this list of publications. I’ll get the ball rolling on that.

Minor remark: there is a typo in the publisher field of the ParaView citation.

For additional metadata, I would propose as an alternative:

@InBook{ParaView,
  author    = {Ahrens, James and Geveci, Berk and Law, Charles},
  chapter   = {{ParaView}: An End-User Tool for Large Data Visualization},
  editor    = {Hansen, Charles D. and Johnson, Christopher R.},
  pages     = {717--731},
  publisher = {Elsevier Inc.},
  title     = {Visualization Handbook},
  year      = {2005},
  address   = {Burlington, MA, USA},
  url       = {https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780123875822/visualization-handbook},
}
1 Like

We have added back the publications to cite ParaView as well as publications that cite ParaView to https://www.paraview.org/resources/.

1 Like