How to uninstall Paraview while it is "not installed" on Ubuntu?

I can turn on the Paraview through terminal on my Ubuntu, like

xxx$ paraview

However, I cannot uninstall it since “Package ‘paraview’ is not installed”, see below:

xxx$ sudo apt-get purge paraview
[sudo] password for XXX:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package ‘paraview’ is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Could anyone please help me solve this problem?

By the way, how to turn on the “PARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON” term on my laptop?

Where is paraview coming from? which paraview should show this. Not every program that can be executed is necessarily installed via apt.

That is a build option; there’s nothing you can do to to change it once ParaView is already built.

Hi Ben, here is the message:

XXX$ which paraview
/usr/local/bin/paraview

That is not an apt maintained ParaView installation. You’ll have to find how it was installed first. Once you have that, we can look at how to potentially uninstall it.

Hi Ben, I installed Paraview on my Ubuntu following the instructions on the webpage as follows:
https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Build_And_Install

Unfortunately, I forget in which way I installed and built Paraview.

Hrm. The wiki really needs to be replaced with more up-to-date docs :confused: . Alas, without that, you’ll probably need to go and excise things manually. If ParaView is the only thing in /usr/local, you can probably just remove most of the files there. If not, the key things to look for are directories with paraview in the name and libraries with -pv in them.

The very first line of that wiki is : This page has been replaced by build documentation in the paraview repository.

Thanks for your reply, but how can I remove the installed one from my Ubuntu now?

I will give you explicit instructions:

• Run the paraview you have, find it’s version using the Help … About dialog.
  • download that version from https://www.paraview.org/download/
  • extract that archive, and look at the files inside - they are grouped into directories, bin, lib, share, etc
  • look for equivalent files in /usr/local, and delete them
  • if you get permission errors, use sudo rm to delete them
    Hopefully this helps,
    Aron

Thanks Aron, I will have a try. Regards!