Identify Block on the client side

Dear Experts,

I found, after reading raw data from files into vtkMultiBlockDataSet, on the client side, i can only refer vtkPVCompositeDataInformation to get some simple block information.

However, in my situation, I need show other information for user picked blocks, So i need to know which vtkMultiBlockDataSet is corresponding to which raw data or from which file.

I have two below ideas to do this, but both not very nice:
First option: I can set block name as the file name, then on the client side to match with raw data, but this method make block name and file name coupled, not very nice.

The other option is use block index, but since this is not a block attribute, i need loop all block to decided its index, also not very nice.

My questions:
<1> any good practice to implement this?
<2> how block is indexed when add / delete block on the GUI? As i see it, from some client side codes, all block will be re-index again, and sequence is the same as they are added, right?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards,
Sharon

<1> any good practice to implement this?

Using the meta information block name as you suggested in the right approach

<2> how block is indexed when add / delete block on the GUI? As i see it, from some client side codes, all block will be re-index again, and sequence is the same as they are added, right?

It depends on the order of selection of the sources you put in the GroupDataset filter

1 Like

Hi Matthieu,

Thank you for your kind help!

Best Regards,
Sharon