Inconsistency detected by ld.so

Hello,

Using the official ParaView binaries ParaView-5.8.0-MPI-Linux-Python3.7-64bit on Ubuntu 16.04, I get an error when doing

pvpython foo.py

where foo.py only contains the line from paraview.simple import *

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 811: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

My colleague with the same OS can reproduce on his machine.

Any ideas on what might cause this?

Edit
When I add to foo.py the following commands, there is no more error:

Show(Cone())

Using strace we found that the following libraries are loaded additionally when we Show() something:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_dri.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_intel.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_nouveau.so.2
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_radeon.so.1

The strace command:

strace -e open pvpython foo.py |& grep "\.so" | grep -v "= -1" | grep -o '".*"' | sed 's/"//g' | sort | uniq

So apparantly loading these libraries fixes the issues at hand. However, it is still not expected behavior I would say…

Cheers,
Ahmad

Unable to reproduce here. ArchLinux (Intel Chipset and NVIDIA card) and Ubuntu 18.04 (NVIDIA card).

I remember trying this on 18.04 and not having this issue either. I think it might be a Ubuntu 16.04-specific issue. Also I have no dedicated graphics card and an Intel CPU (with integrated GPU).

With 16.04 EOL in roughly a year, I would not expect this to be fixed or investigated.

Yeah, I think our CentOS 7 builder is “newer” than 16.04 and therefore it’s not a supported platform for the official binaries. Building your own ParaView binaries should be possible though.

1 Like