install paraview with uuid error

I am trying to install the Paraview-5.6RC2 on ubuntu1604 from source code. The installation seems went well till the end.

[100%] Linking CXX executable …/…/bin/paraview
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so: undefined reference to uuid_generate@UUID_1.0' /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so: undefined reference touuid_unparse_lower@UUID_1.0’

Could someone guide me what should I do ?

Thank you in advance.

Hello. An error itself suggests that there is a compatibility problem with your system’s libSM.so (X11 related) library (there is a function that cannot be found in this library).
Your distribution is quite new so I think that only developers will give you the correct answer (on old distributions there may be just missing/incompatible-arguments functions in old libraries so you can solve the problem with updating your OS). But if you only need the standard ParaView, you can use official binary version from ParaView site (compiling usually needed for non-standard use-cases like Catalyst).

What’s the result of objdump -a -x /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so | grep UUID_1 from terminal?

Ubuntu 16.04 should be fine since several developers are using it. What’s your build configuration btw?

Thank you for your help, this is the one I got from the machine.

user@viz:~/Workspaces/ParaView/BUILD$ objdump -a -x /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so | grep UUID_1
0x09da27b0 0x00 05 UUID_1.0