Is it possible to rotate the skybox?

It seems that Y-axis is the default vertical axis for sky box hdri images. Is there a way to rotate the skybox images so that for example Z-axis is the vertical one? Or do I have transform my models into the skybox coordinate system?

@LfxPaul

Hi Lukasz,

This feature is not yet implemented in ParaView but should come later. You can indeed transform all your scene to choose your skybox orientation

When we do implement it, for consistency we should tie it to the environmental background orientation widgets that are currently in the ray tracing section and promote them out of there.

Any news on this? Has the feature already implemented?

HI @PhilPole ,

Sorry about the delay! This feature is implemented and you can now rotate the skybox using CTRL+LeftClick :slight_smile:

See 4. Displaying data — ParaView Documentation 5.8.1 documentation

Hi!

@LfxPaul @mwestphal
I’ve tried using this feature in 5.8.1, 5.9.0, 5.9.1 and in 5.10.0-RC1 (all on Windows).
In 5.8.1, 5.9.0, 5.9.1 it’s just absent. I’ve tried assigning skybox rotation it to CTRL+LeftClick in Edit->Settings->Camera. The option “SkyboxRotate” is absent in dropdown lists.

In 5.10.0-RC1 it’s present in settings, but it doesn’t seem to work properly. When I hold CTRL+LeftClick, the skybox seems to move only about Y axis (while in my case I need rotation around X)

This is the expected behavior I believe.

1 Like

Note that with Enable Ray Casting checked you can play around with the Environment North and Environment East settings to rotate the skybox beyond just the Y axis. I agree that being able to rotate beyond just the Y axis is helpful because some simulation conventions have the Z axis as “up” while other simulation conventions have the Y axis as “up”.

FYI: I’m using PV v5.10. I’m not sure when all of these features were introduced.