Issue loading in state

Hello,

I still have an issue of loading in past saved state files. I have multiple simulations that I was able to load in and apply a filter to, primarily calculator and integrate variables, and always click on “save state” and it is saved as a .psvm file. I have tried loading in the state, opening recent files, and dragging the file into ParaView but each time it fails to load in my file. I am a Mac user, and made sure my files aren’t stuck on iCloud. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is there an error message you can share?

Hello! Yes, here are some of the error messages. The first screenshot is when I drag in the “.psvm” file of my simulation from SimVascular.

The next photo is when I click on “Recent Files”.
The third photo is from loading in the state.
I have also tried reopening the converted files from SimVascular, but I can not access the folder anymore, despite having converted results in the folder.

I have made sure everything has been downloaded from the cloud; I want to continue simulations but am afraid of completing them and loosing them as I have been. Thank you for your help.

Jessica,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for all the screen shots.

It seems the problem you are having is due to the data files being in a folder that is different from where they were when you created the state file. That’s a common situation, and ParaView has a remedy for it.

When you load your state file through the File -> Load State… menu item, a dialog box will appear asking you where to look for data files. Set the “Load State Data File Options” option to “Search files under specified directory”, then change the “Data Directory” to “/Users/jessicablair/Desktop/Research2020/ConvertedResults/TESTFULL70Trial2…”, then click OK. The state file should load all your data files that you had as long as the names of the files haven’t changed (their directory changing is okay).

That worked, thank you! Take care.

Sorry to intrude but I have just started to have the same problem. All has worked great but now I do not get the dialogue that gives me the option of where to find the saved state data. It hangs up with a partial green highlight in bottom right had corner of the display.

I have installed a new Paraview 5:12.0

Client Information:
Version: 5.12.0-RC2
VTK Version: 9.3.20231030
Qt Version: 5.15.2
vtkIdType size: 64bits
Embedded Python: On
Python Library Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\lib
Python Library Version: 3.10.11 (tags/v3.10.11:7d4cc5a, Apr 5 2023, 00:38:17) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)]
Python Numpy Support: On
Python Numpy Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\numpy
Python Numpy Version: 1.25.2
Python Matplotlib Support: On
Python Matplotlib Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib
Python Matplotlib Version: 3.7.2
Python Testing: Off
MPI Enabled: Off
ParaView Build ID: superbuild 3bb7384e5e8bb9e3f812ad208d0109938bd8b948 (!1163)
Disable Registry: Off
Test Directory:
Data Directory:
SMP Backend: TBB
SMP Max Number of Threads: 12
OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 512.72
OpenGL Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2
Accelerated filters overrides available: No

Connection Information:
Remote Connection: No

Can you list the steps you are doing that cause you to run into this issue? Are you going to File → Load State? Using File → Recent Files?

Can you post a screenshot of the frozen window?

Thank you Cori, I’ll do that

Cheers

Michael and Lynda

Okay Cory, sorry about the last response (-:

Yes, I File → Load State? But I do not get Using File to allow me to chose the file location. This is a new case that I recently started but I can get the Use File dialogue from an old case state that I generated on another PC.

Here is my About ParaView information.
Client Information:
Version: 5.12.0-RC2
VTK Version: 9.3.20231030
Qt Version: 5.15.2
vtkIdType size: 64bits
Embedded Python: On
Python Library Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\lib
Python Library Version: 3.10.11 (tags/v3.10.11:7d4cc5a, Apr 5 2023, 00:38:17) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)]
Python Numpy Support: On
Python Numpy Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\numpy
Python Numpy Version: 1.25.2
Python Matplotlib Support: On
Python Matplotlib Path: C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.12.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib
Python Matplotlib Version: 3.7.2
Python Testing: Off
MPI Enabled: Off
ParaView Build ID: superbuild 3bb7384e5e8bb9e3f812ad208d0109938bd8b948 (!1163)
Disable Registry: Off
Test Directory:
Data Directory:
SMP Backend: TBB
SMP Max Number of Threads: 12
OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 512.72
OpenGL Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2
Accelerated filters overrides available: No

Connection Information:
Remote Connection: No

Very strange.

Would you mind sharing your state file? Either post it to this topic or send it to me via private message? I don’t need the datafiles. Thanks.

Hi Cory,

This is the latest one that I cannot load. It is not a full case, hence the small file size. I was going back to complete it.

BDY_CYLRAD__FUSN_Rev_P11_Step_09.pvsm (73.2 KB)

And this is the older one I can load.

BDY_CYLRAD__FUSN_Rev_P2_Step_09.pvsm (2.1 MB)

Cheers and thanks

By the way Cory, by “the old one that I can load” I mean it does give me the dialogue that allows me to choose locations.

Michael and Lynda

Understood, Michael.

Loading the larger state file brings up the dialog to look for the files as expected.

Loading the newer state file does not, but that is because there is no reader defined in the state. There seems to be only state from the view. I do not see any hanging behavior.

Thanks Cory,

So is this suggesting that I must define a reader when I start the model? I’ve never had to do that in the past. I’ll take another look if course.

Thank you

Michael and Lynda

No, not at all. But if you save state without having a reader, and then go back to load that state again, you won’t be asked to locate your files because you never loaded any. Does that make sense?

If you are creating new state and want to load a data file, use File → Open… and select your dataset from that file dialog.

Okay Cory, I’ll take look and see what I can do.

Cheers

Michael and Lynda

Hi again Cory,

Still major problems. I cannot even open the foam file to restart the analysis. All I am getting is that green text region bottom right of the screen. It is looking like it is doing something in the background. It is now there as soon as I start ParaView and before I open a pvsm or foam… Here is a snip of the region.

That is the memory usage indicator. It doesn’t indicate any actions being taken by ParaView. There is a progress bar to the left of what you posted. If that is updating, that indicates something is happening Is the user interface frozen after you try to load a file?

To make it easier for me to understand what is happening, please list point by point the actions you are taking and what result you are getting. Which menu item did you select, for example? Otherwise I have to fill in the blanks and will likely make some wrong assumptions. E.g.

• Start ParaView
  • File → Load State
  • File → Open…
  • Navigate to file. Select OpenFOAM file named …

Thanks.

Hi again Cory,

This is exactly what I’m actually doing as I type.

1. Start Paraview
  2. File Load State (BDY_CYLRAD__FUSN_Rev_P11_Step_09.pvsm)
  3. OK button
  4. Very brief Create View dialogue box arrives and immediately disappears
  5. Nothing in progress bar to the left of memory usage indicator

7)

9)

Hope this helps, can’t think of anything else I can tell you. Rest of active screen is completely blank an no messages. But will keep trying. I’m in the UK so at least 5 hours ahead of you (-:

Thank you once more and wish I could help more.