Issue with paraview with NVidia Optimus on linux using Bumblebee and pixel scaling

Hi all,

I’ve tried to to run paraview a few times on my laptop, downloading 5.6 linux binaries from the website and installing from the arch linux community repository.

Initially starting paraview without my GPU turned on, paraview looks exactly as it should. Unfortunately, after turning on the GPU using “optirun paraview” I get the attached image. Does paraview have to be compiled with some special capability to make this work? It’s worth noting that I’ve got a high pixel density display and am using KDE Plasma to scale my graphics properly. OS is Manjaro 18.0.0 with the 4.14.74-1-MANJARO kernel, if that matters.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Could you try without the HiDpi activated ?

Well, HiDpi is certainly the origin of the problem, since after scaling my screen down to 1920x1080 (from 2560x1440), the rendering window looks normal both when using the GPU and when using CPU graphics. I’d really prefer to be able to use the high pixel density mode since switching between the two requires a reboot to take effect, and I’d prefer to not do that just to get a full view in paraview.

Thanks!

Can you try with the last nightly of ParaView :
https://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=nightly&type=binary&os=Linux&downloadFile=ParaView-latest-Qt5-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz

1 Like

Ah, this works great, thanks so much!

You may need to stick to the nightly, has the fix (a new QVTKOpenGLWidget) will not be part of ParaView 5.6 release.