Just starting out

I am able to install Paraview on my Windows laptop and start it. I have been asked to install it on Linux. I have downloaded the source and built it to no avail. I have download the pre-compiled code with the Mesa libraries. Paraviw starts up and I get the ‘Get Started Greeting’. I select one of the samples, I get the message that is is loading, then nothing. Any suggestions?

Greg

Greg,

Welcome to the ParaView community!

Have you tried running the paraview.org/ downloads/ Linux normal install (i.e., not Mesa)? This is the one you should be using. https://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=v5.8&type=binary&os=Linux&downloadFile=ParaView-5.8.0-MPI-Linux-Python3.7-64bit.tar.gz Lets start there.

Alan

I will give that one a try. This is what I started with:

[ramos@sandy1 ~] which paraview /usr/local/ParaView-5.8.0-MPI-Linux-Python2.7-64bit/bin/paraview [ramos@sandy1 ~]

Hmmm… the only difference should have been the python. In either install, here is something to try:

paraview-mesa paraview --backend llvmpipe

If this works, it means that your graphics is messed up. You may need a new driver, etc. What I gave you will basically do software rendering (which is actually pretty good).

Same thing, no errors in message window, but no display either:

I need to add this is on CenTOS 7.

Greg

I didn’t include the warning. I am on a Windows machine, remotely logged into my Linux server. I am running X-Win-32 on my Windows machine, remotely logged into the Linux server. I get these waring when in my xterm when starting Paraview:

failed to get the current screen resources
Xlib: extension “MIT-SHM” missing on display “localhost:11.0”.
QGestureManager::deliverEvent: could not find the target for gesture

Yep, that’s a really important detail.

How are you getting into your Linux server? On your linux server, can you run glxgears? If not, you can’t run OpenGL applications.

Sorry, until searching for that error, I thought it was a warning and not a fatal error, expecially since the initial screen comes up with the welcome and the samples. glxgears starts, but the gears don’t turn as they should.

Greg

Does running Paraview in the client server mode get around the rendering problem? That is the server doing the work and viewing the results on the client?