Latex compiler in Paraview

Dear support,

I have been playing with the compilation of different versions of Paraview and now it seems that my latex interpreter stopped working. It seems that it comes from a shared configuration among the Paraview versions and I cannot rectify this problem. How can I specify to Paraview to use again a latex interpreter to render equations and mathematical expressions?

Kind regards,

ParaView uses matplotlib for this. Did you enable it (search the cache variables to see what is available)?

I was having a similar problem on Fedora 36 (not sure if the same since you don’t have many details). The solution there was to revert my matplotlib version to v3.5.3:

I didn’t specify explicitly the version of matplotlib. How should I indicate it in the compilation flags? These are the flags that I used for my compilation of the superbuild with OSMESA:

cmake \
-GNinja \
-DENABLE_osmesa=ON \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_VISITBRIDGE=ON \
-DENABLE_python3=ON \
-DENABLE_mpi=ON \
-DENABLE_paraview=ON \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
./paraview-superbuild

-DENABLE_matplotlib=ON will do it. The superbuild currently has 3.5.2 and should work fine.

I compiled the OSMESA version again (without erasing the previous version) with the following flags:

cmake \
-GNinja \
-DENABLE_osmesa=ON \
-DPARAVIEW_ENABLE_VISITBRIDGE=ON \
-DENABLE_python3=ON \
-DENABLE_matplotlib=ON \
-DENABLE_mpi=ON \
-DENABLE_paraview=ON \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
./paraview-superbuild

Since the OSMESA version is for headless post-processing (no GUI), I am connecting to the superbuild server with the version 5.9.1 but as you can observe below, the latex interpreter is not working:

Is there any way to totally reset Paraview’s configuration in my computer? Maybe I accidentally modified some configuration or path files.

I still have the same issue and I cannot find a solution. How can completely reset the Paraview’s instalation (even the used latex compiler)?

You can rm -rf superbuild/paraview in the superbuild’s build tree to reset its build directory and configuration.

As for the configuration, you can do it on a launch with the --dr flag to ignore any configuration. Other than that, they live in ~/.config/ParaView IIRC.

I tried to erase it totally and build it but I still have the same issue. I found out that the latex compiler issues only occurs now for the version 5.9.0 and 5.9.1 in my computer (I re-downloaded them too). I don’t have these problems in the version 5.11 but since my scripts are working fine on the version 5.9.* I would prefer keep using it for time-saving reasons. Therefore it seems that there is something in my computer that it is preventing Paraview 5.9.* from using the latex compiler. Have you any thoughts about this?

Dear support,

I am still having problems with the latex interpreter in my Paraview installation. I cannot even remember how many things I have tried, some of them are in previous posts in this thread. I even tried to install the superbuild with the version v5.9.1 but the latex interpreter for this specific version doesn’t work. I tried other versions of Paraview and it works which means that in my computer the installation of Paraview 5.9.1 is somehow damaged and I cannot revert it to defaults or reinstall the default configuration. All my scripts are adapted for this version and this is why I insist in fixing my installation. Would it be possible to provide different ways to reinstall totally a paraview version?

Thank you in advance!

Since then, there has been work in VTK to support newer matplotlib versions. Maybe that helps? Does 5.11 work for you? https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/merge_requests/9750