Launch pvserver using .pvsc on Windows

I’m attempting to launch a pvserver and connect to it on a Windows machine, following the guide here: ParaView:Server Configuration - KitwarePublic. Unfortunately, the process fails with the following error:

critical: In unknown, line 0
critical: The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you may have insufficient permissions to invoke the program.
critical: In unknown, line 0
critical: Command launch timed out.

Does anyone have experience getting this to work on Windows? Running Paraview as Administrator doesn’t seem to help, and would be a problem anyway.

test.pvsc (725 Bytes)

Are you able to run this from a command line ?

C:\Program Files\Paraview 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit\bin\pvserver.exe

I have to enclose it in single-quotes and add some Windows-isms:

PS C:\Users\WOODCN2> & 'C:\Program Files\Paraview 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit\bin\pvserver.exe'
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://INL616346:11111
Accepting connection(s): INL616346:11111

I don’t seem to be able to just plug that same sequence into the .pvsc file, though. This yields the same error, for instance:

<Command exec="&amp; 'C:\Program Files\Paraview 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit\bin\pvserver.exe'"

So does this (using the cmd syntax):
"C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit\bin\pvserver.exe"

Hello Nathan,

If it is still actual, you can add ‘C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit\bin’ to path variable on your Windows machine, restart ParaView client, and then use the following .pvsc file:

<Servers>
    <Server name="case6_modified" resource="cs://localhost">
        <CommandStartup>
            <Options>
                <!-- The user chooses the port on which to start the server -->
                <Option name="PV_SERVER_PORT" label="Server Port: ">
                    <Range type="int" min="1" max="65535" step="1" default="11111" />
                </Option>
            </Options>
            <Command exec="pvserver -sp=$PV_SERVER_PORT$" delay="5">
            </Command>
        </CommandStartup>
    </Server>
</Servers>

Hope it helps you.

Best Regards,
Pavel