LidarView how to switch from mutiple Interpreters

I have implemented different lidar drivers in LidarView, as different PacketInterpreter, such as hesai and robosense. So, where should I switch to different Interpreter and instantiation it

@bastien.jacquet

Hi,
It depends how you did it, can you point us to your code?
The interpreter switch does not happen automatically. It can be chosen by instantiating the intended filter from the Python Shell, or a specific UI can be created and linked to specific interpreters.
Bastien Jacquet, LidarView Lead

also trying to create an interpreter for Robosense RS16. whats the best way to import other interpreters? @bastien.jacquet

Hello @Bernhard ,

You would need to create a VTK wrapping for and instantiate it in the list of interpreters that are available in the app (in particular in the calibration dialog ) and switch to it when opening an RS16 lidar sensor pcap file as the same time as you open calibration file.
If you already have some code available, we’d be happy to help you bring it in, and potentially even contribute to extending Lidarview capabilities !

Regards,
Gatien Ferret
Kitware Europe Computer Vision Team Lead, LidarView Maintainer

1 Like

Hello Bernhard,

To extend on Gatien answer (and my own answer from 2020), it depends on whether:

1. you want to have an UI to select the interpreter
    A. Yes
    B. No
  2. your interpreter inherits from vtkLidarPacketInterpreter
    C. Yes
    D. No

C is mandatory. If not already the case, it needs to happen (eg. through wrapping).

The quickest is “BC”: doing the switch without UI, and having already an inherits on vtkLidarPacketInterpreter.
In that situation, you can directly set the interpreter manually through the Python Shell.

If in the AD case, you need everything Gatien mentionned.

Best regards,
Bastien Jacquet, PhD
Former LidarView creator & Lead,
Now helping companies deliver their R&D projects @ Perception4D

1 Like

@Bernhard

I have implemented this and works fine for Hesai/Luminor LIDARs, and I had a quick meeting with Kitware LidarView team whether I can merge such modifications. It seems due to LIDAR vender’s restriction, they can’t import different kinds of Lidar interpreters into LidarView

1 Like

Indeed, as much as we would like to be able to introduce any sensor, most vendors also have their viewer on their side, and therefore may not want to have a concurrent app for this.
Hopefully we will be able to add more and more functionalities (and supported sensors) in the future to the app.
Be sure to follow our blog for the news on when that happens !