Moving Camera along a streamline in Paraview: Is it possible?

Hello,

While watching this video from another post-processing software that demonstrates how to move the view along a streamline: Creating a View along a Streamline on Vimeo

Is it possible to achieve the same result in Paraview?
Could you please provide some hints on how to achieve that? links to relevant tutorials would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

You can do something similar pretty easily. Assuming you have created the streamline with the Stream Tracer filter Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 7.36.34 AM, which creates an Integration Time field, you can create an animation of a particle over the streamline and then have the camera follow that particle.

1. Add the Contour filter Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 7.38.07 AM to the streamlines and contour on the IntegrationTime field. Then add an animation track to adjust the contour value from its minimum to maximum time. This will create an animation of a particle moving along the streamline. This trick is described on this post: Dynamic streamlines
  2. Add an animation track to follow the animated particle you just created. This is briefly described here: 9. Advanced: Animations — ParaView Documentation 5.11.0 documentation. You can now zoom into the particle and then play the animation to follow the particle around. The particle does not have to be visible for the camera to follow it.

Note that the animation will not be exactly the same as the video you shared. Notably, the view angles of the camera will not change. It will only change the position of the camera to follow the position of the object it is following.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I managed to achieve that by following your steps.

The only tricky part I encountered is that to add a Glyph to the moving particle the time must be different from the first time step, otherwsie it won’t work. I had to change the time to something different to be able to use the velocity vector for the glyph.

Here is the result:

Thank you

Nice. I’m glad that worked for you.

One thing to note. I assume the issue that you were having with the first step is that the particle disappeared in the first step. You can fix that by double-clicking on the contour value animation track and adjusting the first value to be a little larger.

1 Like