mpiexec pvserver - MPI Cluster on AWS

Hi,

I am doing some parallel pvserver experimentation.

AWS EC2 instance has two network interface, public (front facing) private (internal facing)

When running mpiexec within the cluster, the return IP and port listening on 11111 is and internal IP and from the outside (my laptop), I can’t connect to it.

Is there a recommended way to start up parallel pvservers so that it is listening on the public IP rather than the internal IP ?

Cheers

As memory serves you can specify that with a command ine argument. Try pvserver - - help.

1 Like

Hey Nicholas, you can set server port and connect id yourself to connect to a remote cluster. See the command below. Also, use mpiexec.hydra to determine the amount of procs if you want to use it in parallel mode.

Command on Server Side:
mpiexec.hydra -np 4 pvserver --server-port=##### --connect-id=#####

Replace ##### with your own port numbers

1 Like

I didn’t find mpiexec.hydra in my downloaded version of Paraview.

Using mpiexec -info, I get the following which lead me to believe that current builds of mpiexec already included hydra

nyue@head0:~/systems/ParaView/ParaView-5.9.0-RC1-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/bin$ ./mpiexec -info
HYDRA build details:
Version: 3.3
Release Date: Wed Nov 21 11:32:40 CST 2018
CC: /builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/.gitlab/shortcuts/gcc -fPIC -Wl,-rpath,/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install/lib
CXX: /builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/.gitlab/shortcuts/g++ -fPIC -Wl,-rpath,/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install/lib
F77: /opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/gfortran -Wl,-rpath,/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install/lib
F90: /opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/gfortran -Wl,-rpath,/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install/lib
Configure options: ‘–disable-option-checking’ ‘–prefix=/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install’ ‘–with-device=ch3:sock’ ‘–enable-shared’ ‘–disable-static’ ‘–disable-mpe’ ‘–disable-libxml2’ ‘CC=/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/.gitlab/shortcuts/gcc’ ‘CFLAGS=-fPIC -O2’ 'LDFLAGS= -Wl,-rpath,/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/install/lib ’ ‘CPPFLAGS= -I/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/superbuild/mpi/src/src/mpl/include -I/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/superbuild/mpi/src/src/mpl/include -I/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/superbuild/mpi/src/src/openpa/src -I/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/superbuild/mpi/src/src/openpa/src -D_REENTRANT -I/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/build/superbuild/mpi/src/src/mpi/romio/include’ ‘CXX=/builds/gitlab-kitware-sciviz-ci/.gitlab/shortcuts/g++’ ‘CXXFLAGS=-fPIC -O2’ ‘FC=/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin/gfortran’ ‘–cache-file=/dev/null’ ‘–srcdir=.’ ‘LIBS=’ ‘MPLLIBNAME=mpl’
Process Manager: pmi
Launchers available: ssh rsh fork slurm ll lsf sge manual persist
Topology libraries available: hwloc
Resource management kernels available: user slurm ll lsf sge pbs cobalt
Checkpointing libraries available:
Demux engines available: poll select