New plane widget with adaptive size

Keep in mind that both of Ken’s suggestions make (visual) sense only if the outline is visible.
So we can visualize along with the disk plane:

1. the intersection edges/plane with the outline (Ken’s ideas),
  2. just outline
  3. nothing.

Hmmm … really good point. Lets try Ken’s idea, 1)…

I’ve learned over the years when Ken and I disagree, I need to listen more and talk less… :slight_smile:

Based on the current discussion so far I would suggest removing the outline by default,
and have a checkbox, to enable the intersection edges/plane with the outline.

What do you think about that?

I agree that the outline intersection with the slice makes the slice position in space clearer.

One problem with the outline is that it is not related to the data. It is slightly bigger than the data bounding box so it is not clear what that shows.

So if we show the slice intersection with an outline I would vote to show it on the data outline instead.

The outline was bigger in the old plane and it is the same in the new plane too.

The purpose of making the outline slightly bigger, I presume was to improve the visibility of the old plane. If the data is a cube, and the outline is the exact bounding box (not slightly bigger), the plane is not visible.

1 Like

I see. Indeed, a larger outline would show the slice a little better that the data outline for all types of data.

The option in which we just visualizing the intesection edges, i believe is the best.

Do you have any particular preference as far as the color of the edges:

0 voters

And also, what would you like to be the default option?

• Don’t visualize outline and intersection edges
  • Visualize outline and intersection edges

0 voters

One thing to note - widgets should respect the currently chosen color palette, but they don’t. Here’s why that’s a problem - if you make these lines white and the color palette has white as a background, you won’t see them. That’s a problem with all existing widgets, by the way, it’s not unique to this widget. My suggestion would be to make the intersection and box outline color the same as the color palette’s Foreground color. For a white background, the Foreground color is black.

1 Like

That’s a good idea indeed! Although this requires a color change when the property widget in ParaView is initialized. For the time being though, we need a default color for VTK.

Did anything ever happen with this? I am curious because I have issues placing slice planes with many of the datasets I have been working with. Our datasets are similarly structured to OpenFOAM, where we have volume data, and a number of named surfaces representing boundary conditions.

The issue occurs when the dataset bounds is at least an order of magnitude larger than the part of the data set people view. Think a plane with a very large surrounding far field. If you have the whole data bounds in view, the plane is so small its invisible. If reset the camera to the plane body, the widget is not usable, and if I zoom out, I can’t place the plane where I want it because I can’t see the plane. If the widget is based on the viewport, that would solve my issue.

You can try it on the latest paraview build. Go to https://www.paraview.org/download/ and choose nightly as the version.

1 Like