Package installer failed on MacOS Catalina

Here is the message:

“ParaView-5.7.0-MPI-OSX10.12-Python2.7-64bit.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

@cory.quammen

Thanks for the report. We are going to need to install Catalina on a local machine to debug.

Issue reported: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/19432

Hi. Has there been any update on this problem. I just tried to run Paraview on my MacBook Pro, running Catalina, and I encountered the same problem.

Hello,

l also came across this problem and thought that I would not be able to use ParaView on my macbook pro (with German locale). However, on the net, I found a tip that helped:

I ran the ParaView dmg installer which produced the warning message. After that, I went into Finder and located the ParaView app (I found it in the /Programme directory). Then, by right clicking the ParaView app icon, I was able to open the application from the context menu.

Perhaps this is helpful for some of you.

James

1 Like

There was a small typo: the Programme directory lies in the home directory.

Having just been down this path (ParaView 5.8.0, MacBook Pro Mid 2012, Catalina 10.15.4), in addition to James’ answer above, you can also do, as Apple suggest (link below), Ctrl left click on the ParaView Icon in Finder and select Open, then Open again when it again says that the app can’t be opened “… because Apple can’t check for malicious software”.

Right click didn’t work for me.

Words from Apple…

An update on this issue. I have worked out the steps needed to notarize ParaView, and will do so with the release of ParaView 5.8.1-RC2.

2 Likes

I posted updated ParaView 5.8.0 and 5.8.1-RC1 .dmg and .pkg files on www.paraview.org/download. Please give them a try.

2 Likes