Paraview 5.5 can't be run in Windows XP x64

I have a big problems using ParaView in Windows 7x64 (bug #18255)
So I tried running it in Windows XP x64 SP1.
And after installation it says, “paraview x64 is not a valid 32bit application”… while it is x64 build of course.

I guess, there is a mistake in compiler options.

Microsoft ended support for Windows XP back in 2014, and ParaView is not known to run on it. ParaView compiled on Windows 7 with MSVC 2013, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t some incompatibility with XP.

That said, there is nothing we know of that would prevent it from running. Unfortunately, we do not have Windows XP systems on which to debug this problem.

Microsoft has never supported VTK, cygwin, or any 3rd party cross-platform software as well :wink:
So, this can not be a reason for disabling XP64 in building options. Probably, you just used MSVC2013 defaults? Why don’t you remove all the version checks to broaden the range of potentially supported platforms?

XP64 was a big event in scientific/engineering world, allowing to process huge amounts of data in windows, as you probably remember. Before XP64 you had to use Nix, or at least 2003Server for that.
So, why can’t we run cross-platform Paraview on the dedicated platform? Just disable the version check.

Probably, you just used MSVC2013 defaults?

Most likely. Yours is the first request to support Windows XP 64.

So, why can’t we run cross-platform Paraview on the dedicated platform? Just disable the version check.

According to this web page, it appears it might be possible to target XP. However, while it appears simple to enable, experience shows there is no such thing as a simple change :slight_smile:

If you could build ParaView with MSVC 2013 targetting Windows XP and report back pitfalls or whether it works at all, that would be very helpful.

If I find open time between my tasks, probably I try running different nightly builds, which differ considerably, as it appears. But I am not sure I will find time for compiling. my current tasks are so different from software development.