Paraview build: xmlpatterns could not find a Qt

I am trying to build para view from sources on Ubuntu 22.04.

cmake -GNinja -DPARAVIEW_USE_PYTHON=ON -DPARAVIEW_USE_MPI=ON -DVTK_SMP_IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE=TBB -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../paraview

However, I receive the following error:

[30/21172] Generating documentation for SLACTools_doc
FAILED: Plugins/SLACTools/paraview_help/SLACTools_doc.xslt /home/user/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/SLACTools/paraview_help/SLACTools_doc.xslt
cd /home/user/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/SLACTools/paraview_help && /usr/bin/cmake -Dxmlpatterns=/usr/bin/xmlpatterns -Doutput_dir=/home/user/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/SLACTools/paraview_help -Doutput_file=/home/user/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/SLACTools/paraview_help/SLACTools_doc.xslt -Dxmls_file=/home/user/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/SLACTools/CMakeFiles/SLACTools_doc-xmls.txt -D_paraview_generate_proxy_documentation_run=ON -P /home/user/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake
CMake Error at /home/user/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake:592 (message):
Failed to convert servermanager XML: xmlpatterns: could not find a Qt
installation of ‘’

[39/21172] Building CXX object VTK/Filters/Sources/CMakeFiles/FiltersSources.dir/vtkPartitionedDataSetCollectionSource.cxx.o
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

As the system installation of Qt5 didn’t work, I installed Qt5 from sources. Then I add a flag to cmake to specify the new installation of Qt5: -DQt5_DIR=/home/user/appimages/qt5_build/5.11.3/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5.

However, a quick look at the cmake-gui (screenshot below) shows that some Qt5 flags point to the new path, but the Qt5_DIR and Qt5Svg_DIR still point to the system installation.

I found this weird, but I proceed to compile using ninja and still receive the same error message.
Kindly help

Looks like your are missing xmlpatterns in your Qt installation. You can disabled the SLACTools plugin to work around the issue if needed.

Thank you for your response. I included the flag -DPARAVIEW_PLUGIN_ENABLE_SLACTools=0, but I still receive the same error. Are there any other plugins that I should disable?

[16788/21140] Generating documentation for AcceleratedAlgorithms_doc
FAILED: Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/paraview_help/AcceleratedAlgorithms_doc.xslt /home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/paraview_help/AcceleratedAlgorithms_doc.xslt
cd /home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/paraview_help && /usr/bin/cmake -Dxmlpatterns=/usr/bin/xmlpatterns -Doutput_dir=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/paraview_help -Doutput_file=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/paraview_help/AcceleratedAlgorithms_doc.xslt -Dxmls_file=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AcceleratedAlgorithms/CMakeFiles/AcceleratedAlgorithms_doc-xmls.txt -D_paraview_generate_proxy_documentation_run=ON -P /home/kiran/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake
CMake Error at /home/kiran/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake:592 (message):
installation of ‘’

[16789/21140] Generating documentation for AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter_doc
FAILED: Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/paraview_help/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter_doc.xslt /home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/paraview_help/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter_doc.xslt
cd /home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/paraview_help && /usr/bin/cmake -Dxmlpatterns=/usr/bin/xmlpatterns -Doutput_dir=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/paraview_help -Doutput_file=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/paraview_help/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter_doc.xslt -Dxmls_file=/home/kiran/appimages/paraview_build/Plugins/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter/CMakeFiles/AnalyzeNIfTIReaderWriter_doc-xmls.txt -D_paraview_generate_proxy_documentation_run=ON -P /home/kiran/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake
CMake Error at /home/kiran/appimages/paraview/CMake/ParaViewClient.cmake:592 (message):
installation of ‘’

[16797/21140] Building CXX object VTK/ThirdParty/vtkm/vtkvtkm/vtk-m/vtkm/filter/contour/CMakeFiles/vtkm_filter_contour.dir/Contour.cxx.o
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

Then you want to install xmlpatterns

They are already installed using the system package manager. Is there any test I can perform to check if it works correctly?

Looking at your CMake gui image, it looks like you have multiple version of Qt installed that conflicts with each other.

That’s because I was trying a Qt built from sources in order to remove this error (as I mentioned in my question). Since, it didn’t work, I am now using the system Qt entirely, but still have the error

Is xmlpatterns in your path ?

yes

At this point, it is needed to try and debug what is happing in the cmake code trying to use xmlpatterns.

How can I proceed to do that? I am not familiar with cmake.

Definitely not trivial for anyone not familiar with CMake. Do not hesitate to reach out to Kitware for professional support if needed. https://www.kitware.eu/get-support/

Okay, thank you