paraview can not access some data in vtk file

Hello everyone,

I have a vtk file (attached), and although it has temperature data, Paraview can not access it. Only after some time steps, when there are new output files, it can read the temperature data. There are two attached files obtained at different time steps.

VolTs_res_at_loop_0_17.vtk (2.3 MB)
VolTs_res_at_loop_0_30.vtk (2.4 MB)

Although there exists temperature data in the “VolTs_res_at_loop_0_17.vtk”, paraview does not see it, but it can access the data in the second file.

I have gone through the data and its structure, but couldn’t find any disparity.
I would appreciate if any of you could suggest any possible solution to this issue.

Thank you for your time!
Kind regards

P.S. Version of my paraview is 5.11.2, while the data is written with version 2.0 of VTK format.

Your file is incorrectly formatted:

vtkDataSetReader (0x60a2549385c0): Reading file version: 8.2 with older reader version 5.1

Warning: In vtkDataReader.cxx, line 574
vtkDataSetReader (0x60a2549385c0): Reading file version: 8.2 with older reader version 5.1

vtkDataSetReader (0x60a2542614a0): Reading file version: 8.2 with older reader version 5.1

vtkDataSetReader (0x60a2542614a0): Reading file version: 8.2 with older reader version 5.1

vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0x60a2550a6a50): Reading file version: 8.2 with older reader version 5.1

ERROR: In vtkDataReader.cxx, line 3102
vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0x60a2550a6a50): Error reading cell array offset header.

Hello Mathieu,

Thank you for your reply. This file is generated via a large code generated by previous researchers.

Do I have to convert these vtk files to an old vtk format?

But, do you know the reason why I can plot the temperature profile with the second attached file and not with the first one?

# vtk DataFile Version 8.2

This is not a thing, VTK current legacy format version is 5.1.
I assume that the code is using the VTK version instead of using the legacy format version.
I would first try to fix that but you will need to find out the right format version to use.

I’m afraid more investigation would be needed.

I understand, thank you!

1 Like

I understand, thank you.

1 Like