ParaView client-server error for number of textures defined

Hi,

I am using a cloud server for CFD simulations using OpenFOAM 7.0 and then ParaView 5.6.0 for graphical post-processing of the results. I am running a client-host setup of ParaView and finally managed to load the OpenFOAM-reader for ParaView. I am using the OpenFOAM plugin reader supplied the OpenFOAM package, since I am working with Lagrangian particles, that the OF-reader can read. The native OF-reader in ParaView does not recognize the particles and I have to convert to VTK for it to read.

The OF-plugins are now loaded and I am able to read the files, but as soon as my particle count get too high, ParaView crashes with the following error:

ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-7/ParaView-5.6.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 1931
vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow (0x56339984a610): Hardware does not support the number of textures defined.

I am using the following command to launch ParaView and the OpenFOAM plugins:
Single core:

LD_PRELOAD=/opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-7/platforms/linux64Gcc/ParaView-5.6.0/lib/libvtkpqCore-pv5.6.so.1 pvserver --force-offscreen-rendering

Parallel:

mpirun -x LD_PRELOAD=/opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-7/platforms/linux64Gcc/ParaView-5.6.0/lib/libvtkpqCore-pv5.6.so.1 -np 4 pvserver --force-offscreen-rendering

This occurs both when ParaView is launced using MPI and when launched using a single CPU.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Or where to look for errors?

Best regards
Kasper.

1 Like

Does the errors occurs if you do not show the particles at all ? or show them in a spreadsheet ?

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply.

There is no error if the particles is not displayed. Then the entire dataset is loaded from 0 to end.
If I display the particles in a spreadsheet, I get a different error:

ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-7/ParaView-5.6.0/VTK/Parallel/Core/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 808
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x563f27b783e0): Could not receive tag. 1

ERROR: In /opt/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-7/ParaView-5.6.0/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/Core/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx, line 297
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x563f2789aa30): Some error in socket processing.

Exiting…

How many particle causes problems ?
Could you screenshot your information tab ?
Could you reducing the size of your dataset first, using MaskPoint filter for example ?

I can display ~220,000 particles and then I get the “Hardware does not support the number of textures defined” error.
I’ve uploaded a snapshot of the information tab before the error.

Filtering using Mask Point is an option that works! I was not aware of that. For this case I think that will be the best solution, since I don’t need to show more than 50% of the particles to give an overall view.

1 Like

Hmm. For starters I was only interested in the particles suspended in the flow, but it seems I’m also not able to display the computational mesh along with the same number of particles.

I can display the mesh, consisting of 12 million cells, but then I cannot show any particles along with the mesh. I get the same hardware error.

Could you try showing them in Point Gaussian or 3D Glyphs Representation mode ?

It doesn’t seem to matter whether I display them as Surface, Point, Point Gaussian or 3D Glyphs. Same hardware error when exceeding the same threshold.