Paraview for geospatial data

I noticed in the ParaView release notes that there is now support for geospatial formats through GDAL and PDAL (https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_Release_Notes#GDAL_and_PDAL_Readers)

Does anyone know if this is supported through the regular installation of pre-built ParaView, or do we have to build our own with GDAL (as well as all the other dependencies) installed?

If the former, are there instructions somewhere on how to, for example, import a GeoTiff?
If the latter, are there any plans to include these readers directly in a future release of ParaView?

Thanks,
Eric

Does anyone know if this is supported through the regular installation of pre-built ParaView

Not yet.

or do we have to build our own with GDAL (as well as all the other dependencies) installed?

Indeed.

If the latter, are there any plans to include these readers directly in a future release of ParaView?

ParaView 5.9 will include GDAL in the binaries. You can test it using the nightlies already.
it isn’t planned to integrate PDAL afaik.

Perfect, thanks for your response.
I look forward to 5.9, but in the meantime I’ll give the nightlies a shot.

I noticed in the ParaView release notes that there is now support for geospatial formats through GDAL and PDAL (https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_Release_Notes#GDAL_and_PDAL_Readers)

Does anyone know if this is supported through the regular installation of pre-built ParaView, or do we have to build our own with GDAL (as well as all the other dependencies) installed?

GDAL is supported in the binary build, PDAL is not yet as far as I know.

If the former, are there instructions somewhere on how to, for example, import a GeoTiff?

You just read a tiff the regular way. You’ll be given a choice to open that as a tiff or as a geotiff raster image.

Yes, we do want to add PDAL to the binary as well, we’ll need to identify funding for that though.