ParaView GUI not starting after enabling AutoMPI

Dear all,

I enabled AutoMPI in ParaView using instructions given here: Paraview parallel - #4 by mwestphal. However, I am unable to open any new GUI after closing that session.

The log from the terminal is as follows:

$ paraview dummy.pvd &
[1] 9015
$ AutoMPI: SUCCESS: command is:
 "/home/vachan/Downloads/ParaView-5.9.1-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/bin/mpiexec" "-n" "4" "/home/vachan/Downloads/ParaView-5.9.1-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/bin/pvserver" "--server-port=37369"
AutoMPI: starting process server

[1]+  Stopped                 paraview dummy.pvd

And then the GUI doesn’t pop-up. Is there anything else I should do? In the worst case, how can I switch off AutoMPI, now that the GUI is not showing?

Thanking in anticipation
Vachan

Hi @vachan-potluri ,

AutoMPI is deprecated and unstable on moderm OS.

You should run our servers manually using mpi.

how can I switch off AutoMPI, now that the GUI is not showing?

Just delete ~/.config/ParaView/*

best,

@mwestphal, thank you for the quick help.

One related issue. I have tried manually starting and connecting to a server as described here: 6. Remote and parallel visualization — ParaView Documentation 5.8.1 documentation. However, when I start a server in parallel, it exits with an error. The same error is printed n-1 times.

$ mpiexec -n 4 pvserver
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://vachan-desktop:11111
Accepting connection(s): vachan-desktop:11111
Waiting for client...
(   0.126s) [pvserver        ]          vtkSocket.cxx:187    ERR| vtkServerSocket (0x19c92a0): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.
(   0.126s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:440    ERR| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x18968e0): Failed to set up server socket.
Exiting...
Waiting for client...
(   0.140s) [pvserver        ]          vtkSocket.cxx:187    ERR| vtkServerSocket (0x1f8b2a0): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.
(   0.140s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:440    ERR| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x1e588e0): Failed to set up server socket.
Exiting...
Waiting for client...
(   0.133s) [pvserver        ]          vtkSocket.cxx:187    ERR| vtkServerSocket (0xe142a0): Socket error in call to bind. Address already in use.
(   0.134s) [pvserver        ]vtkTCPNetworkAccessMana:440    ERR| vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0xce18e0): Failed to set up server socket.
Exiting...

Further, if I launch pvserver on a single process, it doesn’t show any error. So it looks like pvserver cannot run on multiple processes.

I am using ParaView 5.9.1 (binary release) on Ubuntu 18.04. Is it that ParaView has to be manually compiled to use parallel capabilities?

Thanks again

How did you compile/install ParaView ?

I downloaded the precompiled binaries from here: https://www.paraview.org/download/.

Are you using Windows, Linux or MacOS ?

I am using ParaView 5.9.1 (binary release) on Ubuntu 18.04.

:point_up:

Linux Ubuntu 18.04

Ok, make sure to use the mpiexec provided in the binary package.

./mpiexec -np 4 ./pvserver
1 Like

Ok, make sure to use the mpiexec provided in the binary package.

This works, thank you very much!