Paraview headless archive missing cryptography module required for remote rendering server demo

I am using the 5.9.1 headless egl archive and when i try to use the official demo code for the paraview remote rendering server, the demo does not run because the included python is missing the cryptography module. It seems like I will have to compile paraview to include this, but I was wondering if this is the expected behavior?

./pvpython …/…/server_test/pv_server.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “…/…/server_test/pv_server.py”, line 6, in
from paraview.web import pv_wslink
File “/home/mbm/projects/Paraview/ParaView-5.9.1-egl-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/paraview/web/pv_wslink.py”, line 5, in
from vtkmodules.web import wslink as vtk_wslink
File “/home/mbm/projects/Paraview/ParaView-5.9.1-egl-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/vtkmodules/web/wslink.py”, line 14, in
from autobahn.twisted.websocket import WebSocketServerProtocol
File “/home/mbm/projects/Paraview/ParaView-5.9.1-egl-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/autobahn/twisted/init.py”, line 54, in
from autobahn.twisted.wamp import ApplicationSession
File “/home/mbm/projects/Paraview/ParaView-5.9.1-egl-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/autobahn/twisted/wamp.py”, line 48, in
from autobahn.wamp import protocol, auth
File “/home/mbm/projects/Paraview/ParaView-5.9.1-egl-MPI-Linux-Python3.8-64bit/lib/python3.8/site-packages/autobahn/wamp/auth.py”, line 40, in
from cryptography.hazmat.primitives.kdf.pbkdf2 import PBKDF2HMAC
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘cryptography’

Where does this pv_server.py come from ?

You’ll have to bring it in a virtual-env on the side by adding some command line argument and extending the original script to mimic what is done here.

We are working on it to remove such dependency in the future for ParaView 5.10 as we don’t want to bring cryptography as a dependency.

FYI @Scott_Wittenburg @ben.boeckel

I wanted to get cryptography into 5.9.1, but it was hairier than I’d have liked and it never happened. It is done for 5.10 now though.

Thanks @ben.boeckel !

1 Like

Where I can find ParaView 5.10?

ParaView 5.10 is due out in Fall 2021.

I am getting this problem. How to solve it? In Windows?
The release is:ParaView 5.9.1-MPI-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit

I have in another computer working with:ParaView 5.9.0-RC2-Windows-Python3.8-msvc2017-64bit

Where I can get this last version to test?

Use the nightly binaries or an older version of ParaView…

Nightlies are currently broken. @ben.boeckel @cory.quammen

Just download 5.9.0 instead of 5.9.1 from the download page…

We are on it.

Thanks Mathieu. Kitware rocks.