ParaView Mac Big Sur release date

When do you expect to release ParaView version compatible with Mac Big Sur?

1 Like

I would not expect it until ParaView 5.10 at the earliest, due out in the first half of 2021.

By that I mean binaries compiled for the M1 chip, that is. Do current versions of ParaView run on Big Sur?

I just ran ParaView 5.7 and 5.8.1 on Big Sur with intel hardware and it worked.

Clarification: My question was about Big Sur Intel version.
Apple released it to general public today (it has been in public beta for many weeks).

I would think, today:

1. not many people are missing the M1s version
    (as M1s will only ship on Nov 17. Only a few developers would have Mac Developer Transition Kit), and
  2. nearly all paraView users will need Big Sur binaries for Intel soon
    (as MACOS automatically updates their machines tonight and in the next few days).

It seems, the latest binary for Mac (posted at https://www.paraview.org/download/)
is still OSX10.13 (ParaView-5.9.0-RC1-MPI-OSX10.13-Python3.8-64bit Nov 5)

I tired it, just in case (OSX11.0.1 (20B29) MBP 2017).
However, as expected, it did not work (ParaView > File > Open failed to display the file browser).

10.13 is only the minimum supported version - 10.14, 10.15, and Big Sur should be supported. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were some bugs.

It sounds like ParaView runs on your system, but you are running into a specific problem. Is it possible that the file browser is behind ParaView’s main window. Does swiping your trackpad up with three fingers show the file dialog (by default three-finger swipe arranges all open windows so that you can see them all).

ParaView-5.9 is working now. Many thanks for your reply, Cory.
(FYI: It was not a window issue. It was a forever spinning beach ball issue. But it worked after I restarted the Mac.)

Great, thanks for following up!

Dear Developers!
It is not working for me. I have tried with all your versions on Big Sur. It runs for 2 or 3 times and then never run again. I could open browser window but it doesn’t import any vtk files. I have MBP 16 inch. Any help will be appreciated a lot!
Thank you,
Ram