ParaView OpenGL version

Hi,

I have a CMake project that is building many stuff : a program in which ParaView 5.4.1 is embedded and other programs that only uses ParaView libraries (the VTK that it bundles).

I’m having trouble with the programs that uses the QVTKOpenGLWidget bundled in ParaView. The problems are related to the OpenGL version, the widget is not working properly. I solved that by using this env. variable before launching the program : MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, I set it to 3.2 or 3.3.

Unfortunately, vtkPolyData(s) that I show in the QVTKOpenGLWidget now are colored in black (colors disappeared). There’s no problem with the deprecated QVTKWidget.

In ParaView, we can see the used OpenGL version : Help -> About (OpenGL version 3.3)

But when I do this, in a terminal :

[amzoughi@amine-pc-temp Qt]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop 
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

The version is 3.0. Can someone explain the black magic, ParaView is doing to set the right version of OpenGL ?

Thanks.

I have no idea about your original question with regards to vtkPolyData, etc. However, with regards to the required OpenGL version, here are some thoughts. You actually don’t care about the OpenGL version string. OpenGL version says that this version of opengl implements ALL OpenGL features (including deprecated features) up to version 3.0. OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 tells us what version of OpenGL required functionality is supported.

In the application where I embedded ParaView client, the other non-ParaView parts and using QVTKOpenGL Widget are working with no problems.

In the applications where I didn’t embed the ParaView client but I’m still using ParaView libraries, QVTKOpenGLWidget is not working (QVTKWiget is OK), I have these errors printed in the standard output every time I interact with the widget :

ERROR: In /home/febus-g1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 831

vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow (0x11c9050): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

ERROR: In /home/febus-g1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx, line 408

vtkShaderProgram (0x1f9d240): 1: #version 150

2: #ifdef GL_ES

3: #if VERSION == 300

4: #define attribute in

5: #define varying out

6: #endif // 300

7: #else // GL_ES

8: #define highp

9: #define mediump

10: #define lowp

11: #if VERSION == 150

12: #define attribute in

13: #define varying out

14: #endif

15: #endif // GL_ES

16:

17:

18: /*=========================================================================

19:

20: Program: Visualization Toolkit

21: Module: vtkPolyData2DVS.glsl

22:

23: Copyright (c) Ken Martin, Will Schroeder, Bill Lorensen

24: All rights reserved.

25: See Copyright.txt or http://www.kitware.com/Copyright.htm for details.

26:

27: This software is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even

28: the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR

29: PURPOSE. See the above copyright notice for more information.

30:

31: =========================================================================*/

32:

33: // all variables that represent positions or directions have a suffix

34: // indicating the coordinate system they are in. The possible values are

35: // MC - Model Coordinates

36: // WC - WC world coordinates

37: // VC - View Coordinates

38: // DC - Display Coordinates

39:

40: attribute vec4 vertexWC;

41:

42: // material property values

43: //VTK::Color::Dec

44:

45: // Texture coordinates

46: attribute vec2 tcoordMC; varying vec2 tcoordVCVSOutput;

47:

48: // Apple Bug

49: //VTK::PrimID::Dec

50:

51: uniform mat4 WCVCMatrix; // World to view matrix

52:

53: void main()

54: {

55: // Apple Bug

56: //VTK::PrimID::Impl

57:

58: gl_Position = WCVCMatrix*vertexWC;

59: tcoordVCVSOutput = tcoordMC;

60: //VTK::Color::Impl

61: }

62:

ERROR: In /home/febus-g1/rpmbuild/BUILD/ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx, line 409

vtkShaderProgram (0x1f9d240): 0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.50 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

When I use MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 ./myApp, QVTKOpenGLWiget is working but I have vtkPolyData that are not colored with LUT, they are black, I suspect that MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE is not enough to fix my issue, I played also MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE but either it makes me come back to the same errors as before or it has no effect.

So, I want to understand what the ParaView is doing so that OpenGL is well configured !

Using this :

QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat(QVTKOpenGLWidget::defaultFormat());

I don’t have error messages or seg faults, but images are not rendered correctly at all :

With QVTKOpenGLWidget + vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow :

With QVTKWidget + vtkRenderWindow :

In ParaView (which is using QVTKOpenGLWidget) there’s no problems ! This mess is really driving me insane !

I don’t want to use QVTKWidget, because I’m using vglrun to run my application remotely and it crashes with this command !

UPDATE : In the case of the software I am using (that uses ParaView stuff), QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat fixed all my issues.