paraview OpenGL2 build + stereo tipe Crystal Eyes

Hi,

I built paraview using OpenGL2 and ran it with the options --stereo --stereo-type=‘Crystal Eyes’.
However, I am getting this error:

ERROR: In /home/kdash/opt/paraview/5.1.0/src/ParaView/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLCamera.cxx, line 144
vtkOpenGLCamera (0x402a730): failed after Render 1 OpenGL errors detected

I took a look at that code and it seems is related to the calls:

glDrawBuffer(static_cast(win->GetBackLeftBuffer()));
glReadBuffer(static_cast(win->GetBackLeftBuffer()));

According to the opengl documentation, those two functions throw this error “by glNamedFramebufferDrawBuffers if framebuffer is not zero or the name of an existing framebuffer object.”

This glNamedFramebufferDrawBuffers is supported by opengl 4.5, but I am using 4.6 and still get the error.
Here my glx info:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 390.42
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.42
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 390.42
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

I appreciate any help in advance!

Thank you

Please precise the version of ParaView you are using/building.

In any case, the GeForce GTX 760 does not have quad buffer, and “Crystal Eyes” stereo rendering can only fail with this device. However no error should have appeared.

you can check by running :
glxgears -stereo

An emulation layer exists but I never experienced with it, see here :

More infos here :

https://www.schrodinger.com/kb/1287

I see that you have tagged your post as vr

Stereo mode has no relation with vr.

It’s paraview 5.1.0. The version I managed to build using both OpenGL and OpenGL2. You think if I go up on a newer paraview version it will work? Currently I’m working on building version 5.5.2 in my system.

ParaView 5.3 -> 5.5.X has no crystal eyes stereo support. It should come back in 5.6

For the rest, see my other remarks.

One more thing. You said GeForce GTX 760 doesnt have quad buffer. Is this valid just for this specific device, meaning that it may work on other GeForce Cards?
I checked some documentation on Quad Buffered. It seems is only supported by professional graphics cards.

Absolutelly, you need a Quadro card to use Crystal Eyes stereo.

The cheapest one is the Quadro K620.

However, you also need a 120 Hz screen and some kind of Nvidia stereo glasses, or another stereo device like the zSpace.

It’s ok. I got a Quadro card but is in other system. I’ll have to move everything to that environment.

Thank you.