ParaView Rendering of vtu and vtkhdf data not the same

I’ve been testing writing out data from a simulation in both vtu and vtkhdf. I’m writing the same data to both files but when I open them in ParaView they look quite different and I can’t figure out why.

Here’s what they look like side by side on my screen.

I can’t figure out if it’s something wrong with the data files (same data written to both) or if there is some strange setting in ParaView only affecting the vtu file. I’ve uploaded the two files below - maybe someone can spot the problem with the data or tell me what setting in ParaView I need to change to make the vtu look normal.

revolution_triangular_mesh_test.hdf (111.2 KB)
revolution_triangular_mesh_test.vtu (153.9 KB)

Actually after some digging and finding the Toggle Advanced Properties button I’ve found that the lighting options were different for each file type:

Is there a reason that the Normal Array was set as normals for the vtu file but nothing was set for the vtkhdf file?

More digging and I’ve had a look at the vtu and I presume this happened because Normals="normals" is specified in the vtu file. I did not realise that Normals would affect the rendering, I thought it was a more generic class.

1 Like

@Lucas_Givord should we identify the normals (and tangents and such) in vtkhdf if not already ?

yes it should be, we have a dedicate issue related to “special” array : https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/issues/19192

1 Like