Paraview savedata option

Dear Community,

I have some queries regarding data-export using Paraview for which I need some help.

1. While saving data from paraview using the “Save Data” option in the tool bar, I realized that it is saving all the data in an unstructured manner which means the x & y values are not stored in a typical matrix format or Is there a way to fix this in paraview itself?

2. It typically takes all the column data e,g, Ux, Uy, Uz, vorticity_x, vorticity_y etc. But, can I specifically choose some particular columns instead of everything?

3. I can see repetitive data…I mean multiple entries for the same x & y. Any suggestions how to avoid this?

Thanks.

Hi @Smruti_Ranjan_Jena ,

That depends of your data. If it is unstructured, then yes, but this is expected.

It typically takes all the column data e,g, Ux, Uy, Uz, vorticity_x, vorticity_y etc. But, can I specifically choose some particular columns instead of everything?

(Almost) All writers have a “Choose arrays to write” options, in 5.10 and higher.

I can see repetitive data…I mean multiple entries for the same x & y. Any suggestions how to avoid this?

It means your data is repetitive.

You may want to share your data.

Best

1 Like

Thanks Mathieu for your reply.

I got the first two answers. For the third one, let me explain the current scenario a bit in detail (Here is the link to google drive for accessing the file : paraview_support - Google Drive).

I am currently running a low Reynolds number flow past a cylinder case for which I needed to postprocess some data, hence I exported all the data into a text file. For your information, I am exporting data from a sliced plane that has a dimension of 0.5 < x < 5 and -2 < y < 2. To my surprise, I see some repetitive data in the text file especially on the leftmost side i.e. for all “y” along x=0.5. By saying repetitive data, I mean for a particular (x,y) there should be only one row that should comprise all the values, but here I can see 2 rows for same (x,y).

Could you please look into the data & kindly let me know if I am making any mistake while exporting the data?

I see the duplicate data, but you did not share your input, but your output. Please share your input data.

1 Like

By saying input data, I understand that you are asking for the openFoam output file in .vtk/.vtm format. In that case, I have uploaded the .vtm file (the original output file), .pvsm file(where I have saved the state after doing four clips, 1 slice & 1 gradient calculation) to the same folder in which fullData.text file is stored ( Here is the link to google drive for accessing the file : paraview_support - Google Drive).

Kindly let me know if there is anything wrong with the data.

I also need all of this:

<vtkMultiBlockDataSet>
    <DataSet name='internal' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/internal.vtu' />
    <Block name='boundary'>
      <DataSet name='inlet' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/boundary/inlet.vtp' />
      <DataSet name='outlet' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/boundary/outlet.vtp' />
      <DataSet name='topAndBottom' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/boundary/topAndBottom.vtp' />
      <DataSet name='cylinderWall' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/boundary/cylinderWall.vtp' />
      <DataSet name='jetInlet' file='timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/boundary/jetInlet.vtp' />
    </Block>
  </vtkMultiBlockDataSet>
1 Like

Hey Mathieu,

I have uploaded the blockmeshDict file & the initial condition folder (i.e. 8.14) from which I started running my current case. Inside that folder, I guess you will find all the necessary data related to boundary conditions of U & other variables.

Link to the folder: paraview_support - Google Drive

Sorry, I’m not going to run an OpenFOAM simulation. please share the data.

1 Like

Apologies for the miscommunication.

The folder named “8.14” is not the initial condition folder, but the data folder that I have reconstructed (using the command “reconstructPar -time 8.14”) as I was a running a parallel simulation with 12 processors.

Further to access it using paraview, I ran “foamToVTK -time 8.14” to further create “VTK/timeavg-re100-u0p2h0p2_8140/” that I have recently uploaded (maybe this is the thing that you are looking for…as I am a novice user, I thought of writing everything in detail. sorry for that).

Link to the drive folder : paraview_support - Google Drive

Thanks for your patience.

The duplicated data is present in your slice. I don’t know why it is here, there can be multiple reasons. In anycase, you can remove it using “Clean” filter.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I will for sure try the “clean” filter.

But, I just wanted to share an observation & would be happy to get your comments on that. Every time, I exported the data I see the repeatitive data if and only if I include the boundary part. e.g. if I have a domain of 0.5 < x < 5 and if I exported a clipped slice from it for say 0.5 < x < 0.6, I have seen repetitive data for x=0.5 specifically. So, my current understanding is, maybe boundary causes the problem. Let me know your thoughts on this.

That is definitely possible, but it looks like you are already using only the internal mesh, so not sure why.

1 Like