ParaView-superbuild crashes when .nas files are opened. Problem with VisIt reader?

Hello,

I have installed paraview with the superbuild procedure on a MacOS. My main use-case is to use paraview to read Nastran files. To do this, I have enabled VisIt reader by turning on “ENABLE_visitbridge” during the build process.

However, Paraview seems to crash when I “open” the Nastran files. Is this a problem with the VisIt reader or a general bug in Paraview?

I am attaching some Nastran files for you to try out with your own versions:
bulk.nas (330.0 KB)
comwing-wing.nas (158.1 KB)
eb_dyn.nas (6.4 KB)

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Sabyasachi

Thanks for attaching the data and the bug report. It looks like a bug in the VisIt reader and/or an issue with the file:

=================================================================
==40921==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: stack-buffer-overflow on address 0x7fff5fbf2fc0 at pc 0x000122100470 bp 0x7fff5fbf2f50 sp 0x7fff5fbf2f48
WRITE of size 1 at 0x7fff5fbf2fc0 thread T0
    #0 0x12210046f in Getf(char const*) avtNASTRANFileFormat.C:255
    #1 0x1220f83be in avtNASTRANFileFormat::ReadFile(char const*, int) avtNASTRANFileFormat.C:432
    #2 0x1220f6421 in avtNASTRANFileFormat::ActivateTimestep() avtNASTRANFileFormat.C:198
    #3 0x121b5d550 in vtkVisItNASTRANReader::InitializeAVTReader(int const&) vtkVisItNASTRANReader.cxx:129
    #4 0x121ac7c0b in vtkAvtFileFormatAlgorithm::InitializeAVTReader() vtkAvtFileFormatAlgorithm.h:112
    #5 0x121aeba7d in vtkAvtSTSDFileFormatAlgorithm::RequestDataObject(vtkInformation*, vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) vtkAvtSTSDFileFormatAlgorithm.cxx:84
    #6 0x117a2ed9c in vtkCompositeDataSetAlgorithm::ProcessRequest(vtkInformation*, vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) vtkCompositeDataSetAlgorithm.cxx:82
    #7 0x121ab94a7 in vtkAvtFileFormatAlgorithm::ProcessRequest(vtkInformation*, vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) vtkAvtFileFormatAlgorithm.cxx:170
    #8 0x109a817cc in vtkFileSeriesReader::ProcessRequest(vtkInformation*, vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) vtkFileSeriesReader.cxx:529
    #9 0x117a4e79f in vtkExecutive::CallAlgorithm(vtkInformation*, int, vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) vtkExecutive.cxx:773

Dear Cory,

Thanks for following-up on this.

I tried pyNastran which is an open-source tool for visualising nastran files in vtk format. All these files work perfectly in that (find attached an example screenshot).

So, it seems like a bug in the VisIt reader. Has this been reported before? What are the next steps you recommend to take now to get Nastran files working in ParaView?

Best regards,
Sabyasachi

If you could file a bug report at https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues that would be the next step. If someone in the community submits a patch that fixes it, we can get it integrated into ParaView. Otherwise, it will get fixed if a Kitware customer needs it at some point in the future.

Sure, thanks. I have filed a bug report on Gitlab here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/18668

Anyone interested can follow-up here and hopefully submit a fix :slight_smile:

Have a good week!