Paraview web visualizer on Google Cloud

Hello everyone!! I am installing paraview web visualizer on GCloud VM and I have some troubles when I am trying to run the command for visualizer, I mean this command: Visualizer --paraview. Even I tried to run the “Visualizer --server-only” and I get this error message.

"
ParaView-5.4.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 333
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x562672558e40): bad X server connection. DISPLAY=Aborted (core dumped)
"

I don’t know how to fix this because I don’t really know where the problem
could come from. I launched a pvserver on an other machine and I could
connect without having this issue so I guess the problem doesn’t come from
my client machine.

Do you have any hints about how to solve this ?

I guess we may end up needing more details eventually, but one possibility is that you just need to set the DISPLAY environment variable on the machine where you’re running the server. Something like:

export DISPLAY=:0.0

Give it a try and let’s see what happens next.

Cheers,

Scott

The command line you are running is meant for a local machine try-out, not for a real server deployment.
For a real server deployment, you should use the guide I pointed to you on your other thread.

It took 20 minutes for people unfamiliar with ParaViewWeb to read through the guide and deploy it on their Google cloud. But they used a machine with GPU. If you don’t want to use a GPU, you will need the osmesa version of the Docker image.

HTH,

Seb

Thanks! I used the guide that you recomend me for deploy paraview web on GCP, everything looks like working fine but there is a problem when I am trying to access to the server using the public ip, the apache server is working fine but when I try to connect with paraview web is not possible, “server disconnected” message is displayed and in the console I see the next error:
WebSocket connection to ‘ws://ip:port’ failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

But in a local environment everything is working fine. I check the firewall of my VM and the required port are exposed.

Jhimy Michel.

When you ran the docker image, did you provide the public ip as argument or used the internal one? If the later, that url get sent back to the client, so if that client get a connection information that can not work from the outside, that would make sense why it can not connect.

Also based on the information provided, I’m not sure which guide was use and how a ws://ip:port could work. Normally the port for the WebSocket should be the same as the one used by Apache (80 or 443 but for 443 you need to use wss:// as protocol). Unless you have a local setup and use a direct connection between the client and the ParaView process without Apache in the middle to manage the forwarding.

Anyhow, what I’m saying is that without a proper understanding of your setup and what you did, we may guide you in a wrong direction. Need less to say, we often see issues when documentation sections are skipped.