Particle checkpoint format in AMReX 22.03 not yet supported?

The AMRex 22.03 release introduces an updated particle checkpoint format, which was merged as part of AMReX PR #2624. This changes the version string from "Version_Two_Dot_Zero" to "Version_Two_Dot_One" in AMReX_ParticleContainerBase.cpp.

With ParaView nightly build 5.10.0-704-g4e23154bc8-MPI-Linux-Python3.9-x86_64, when I attempt to open an AMReX plotfile with the “AMReX/BoxLib Particles Reader” I get the error message below.

(  82.318s) [paraview        ]vtkAMReXParticlesReader:438    ERR| vtkAMReXParticlesReader (0x7fecfc008600): Bad version string: Version_Two_Dot_One_double
(  82.319s) [paraview        ]       vtkExecutive.cxx:741    ERR| vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x1645c8d0): Algorithm vtkAMReXParticlesReader (0x7fecfc008600) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x192d5180)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 395879
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

Example AMReX data (with particles) that produces the above output attached below:
plt00.zip (14.0 KB)

Given the Bad version string: Version_Two_Dot_One_double message, and the fact that this new version of the particle checkpoint format was just released, my guess is that this is version of the AMReX output format is not supported yet.

Workaround: I can change the version string by hand in the AMReX output, and that allows me to load my data in ParaView, however I am not using the new “expanded particle ids” functionality. I would expect the new functionality to break in ParaView.

Am I correct to believe that this new version of the AMReX particle output format is not yet supported? Should I create an issue in the ParaView bug tacker?

Thanks in advance. :pray:

Yes. This file version appears to have come out two days ago whereas ParaView 5.10 was released a couple months ago. Please do open an issue on the GitLab tracker so we can eventually update. Thanks.

1 Like