.plt File Reading Problems

Hello everybody,

I have a fortran code that gives Tecplot outputs, also a grid file with .grd extension. When I try to open these files with Paraview 5.11, I end up getting these errors:

1- "ERROR: In vtkAvtSTMDFileFormatAlgorithm.cxx, line 127
vtkVisItTecplotReader (0x17c732f0): Unable to find any meshes

2- ERROR: In vtkExecutive.cxx, line 741
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x176a42a0): Algorithm vtkFileSeriesReader (0x17bdf390) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x17c580f0)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 513768
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

I also tried version 5.12 and the first error remains but the second one changes as:

2.1- ERROR: In vtkExecutive.cxx, line 729
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x6eae0b0): Algorithm vtkFileSeriesReader (0x76def30) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x776ef80)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 543629
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

I am using Ubuntu 20.04.6
How can I solve these issues?

Please share your data, also use the last release of ParaView, 5.12.0

ae2d.grd (29.3 KB)
ae2d_flow.plt (117.8 KB)

I attached .grd and .plt files.

ParaView expect a .plt file to be a Tecplot Binary File, although your file clearly is not.

However I have a different issue when I read your file with ParaView 5.12.0:

ERROR: In vtkVisItTecplotBinaryReader.cxx, line 135
vtkVisItTecplotBinaryReader (0x16fe2140): There was an error opening /home/glow/data/tmp/ae2d_flow.plt. It may be an invalid file.

Well, like I said this is the output of a Fortran code more than 15 years old. I cannot share the code but in the store subroutine it uses the commands below, which I don’t know what they mean.

format(a10)
format(7e18.11)

Unfortunately, we were able to open the solution files only with Tecplot.

Since there are numerous errors, I guess there is no way we can open these files with Paraview, right?

I’m afraid not, but maybe these file can be converted to a format that ParaView understand.

1 Like

ae2d_flow.dat (117.8 KB)
ae2d.grd (29.3 KB)

I used Tecplot a few years ago. The ASCII version of the PLT file is the DAT file. I changed .plt to .dat and fixed a line. It works fine now!

Cheers,
Hom Nath

2 Likes

Thank you so much! If I am not asking too much, what line did you fix? Was it the files or Paraview? If it was Paraview how did you change it?

I will be modifying the code over and over again for a while for my research and try to have outputs. I would like to use Paraview for post-processing.

Oh okay, I think I figured it out. I guess you just fixed the line where the parameters are listed in the .dat file.

Thank you again :slight_smile:

Correct :slight_smile: