Poor quality pdf export

Hi all,

I’m trying to export publication-quality vector graphics but struggle with the quality.

im2.pdf (3.7 MB)

I find the pdf export of really poor quality. Do you guys know how to increase it ?

Cheers

Rem

2 Likes

This is a bug in the current release, 5.8.0. It has been fixed in the nightly build, i.e., the developer’s code. This fix will land in both 5.8.1 (out next month) and 5.9.0 (out in September). Try downloading from paraview.org/download. With regards to this bug, it was fixed here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/17639.

Hi thanks for the answer. My question wasn’t really on the colorbar location but rather the quality of the 2D field itself.
Using the nightly build I obtain this result : im3.pdf (3.6 MB)

I still find the png export to me of better quality. Is there a parameter I need to tweak ?

Cheers

1 Like

When you save the .pdf, you get an option panel with a few options to select. If you look at the advanced panel, there are more options. Click the little gear at the top.

Having said that, I suspect you will get the best images by taking Save Screenshot, and outputing’.png’s. I don’t know where the .pdf codec comes from, I’m pretty sure we didn’t develop it.

Hello community!

I have the same issue, facing non-vector quality of mesh instance after exporting .pdf, .eps, .svg and so on. I am using Paraview 5.9.0 on Windows.

Can you please provide a reliable solution for this matter?

Cheers,
Saeid

1 Like

As far as I know this is still not solved in the current paraview Version 5.9.

Are there any plans to make a vector graphics export possible?

Should I open an issue?

AFAIK 2D charts should export using vector graphics. 3D rendering will export using raster even when exporting in PDF format.
You can increase the resolution beyond your screen resolution to improve the quality.

There are no plans to make 3D rendering export using vector graphics as modern GPUs use shaders so there is no easy way to convert your rendering to a series of vector operations. This was supported with classical opengl (version less than 3) using the GL2PS library.