Problem about OpenVR plugin in paraview 5.5.*

Can’t render properly with 5.5.* in VR environment (HTC vive)when I play animation of the first example(can.ex2). it can only render the first frame and last frame. But it works well in paraview 5.4.1.

I’ve closed your other topic.

Are you working with the experimental binary or are you building ParaView yourself ?

You may want to help us try to reproduce your issue.

The paraview tested was downloaded from https://www.paraview.org/download/, including the version of 5.5.0,5.5.1 and 5.5.2. Paraview 5.4.1 was also downloaded from the above URL with the name of ParaView-OpenVR-Windows-64bit.zip.

@martink

Try to debug the ParaView 5.5.2 and find the statement " if (pvRenderer->GetViewProps()->GetMTime() > this->PropUpdateTime)" is not true except for the first time on line 776 in function “void vtkPVOpenVRHelper::UpdateProps()” of file vtkPVOpenVRHelper.cxx. May be one of the causes of the bug :)

That should be OK. The actor is not changing, rather the underlying data should be changing as PV animates. In the past this worked but maybe something has changed in PV and the data is not updating while in VR.

Also I think I recall you have to start the animation in PV prior to sending to VR due to some issues with how the Qt and VTK event loops intermingle maybe. (or it could be the opposite, try both and see if either approach works :slight_smile:

I have tried both approaches in 5.5.2. Starting the animation in PV prior to sending to VR results in blank view in VR and the animation stops automatically. Sending to VR prior to starting the animation in PV results in rendering only the first frame and the last frame mentioned above. it works well in 5.4.1( ParaView-OpenVR-Windows-64bit.zip) for both approaches.

Hi Genesoul
I’m using Oculus rift and I get exactly the same behavior in PV as you mentioned.
I will downgrade PV to 5.4.1 to test it, hope it will work as it did for you.
Side note: My oculus rift controllers ( left & right ) do not work as smooth as I was expecting, to manipulate the model I have to grip both controllers buttons (left & right) and open and close my arms , this will make the model to move as well to scale up and down , I was expecting that I could use the trigger button to grab the model.

Thanks
Luis mestre

Today I tested ParaView-OpenVR-Windows-64bit version, in fact the OpenVr plugin works with animation, however there’s no control at all with the controllers.
Will be possible to bring the code in openvr_api.dll to the OpenVR.dll in ParaView-5.6.0-Windows-msvc2015-64bit ?
How do I debug PV to check the statement:
" if (pvRenderer->GetViewProps()->GetMTime() > this->PropUpdateTime)" is not true except for the first time on line 776 in function “void vtkPVOpenVRHelper::UpdateProps()”

Hi everyone,
I cannot see my stl file with VR in paraview. I am using Open VR but I don’t know about the setting how can I fix that. any help would be helpful.

kind regards,
Arghavan