problems viewing images

I have been using paraview on ubuntu for years now and as of today I can no longer view any images. The problem started before I did anything but since I have removed and reinstalled paraview and the same problem persists.

When I try viewing an image I get the following error in terminal.

Can anyone help to find out what has gone wrong?

which error ?

When I open the file I get a bunch of these in the terminal.

ERROR: In /build/paraview-lH8wFv/paraview-5.4.1+dfsg3/VTK/Filters/Geometry/vtkUnstructuredGridGeometryFilter.cxx, line 1407
vtkUnstructuredGridGeometryFilter (0x55a7cc8c0350): Cell type UnknownClass(69) is not a 3D cell.

ERROR: In /build/paraview-lH8wFv/paraview-5.4.1+dfsg3/VTK/Filters/Geometry/vtkUnstructuredGridGeometryFilter.cxx, line 1407
vtkUnstructuredGridGeometryFilter (0x55a7cc8c0350): Cell type UnknownClass(69) is not a 3D cell.

ERROR: In /build/paraview-lH8wFv/paraview-5.4.1+dfsg3/ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions/Rendering/vtkPVGeometryFilter.cxx, line 1501
vtkPVGeometryFilter (0x55a7cc882a20): Missing original point id arrays.

In the output messages I get the following lines

ERROR: In /build/paraview-lH8wFv/paraview-5.4.1+dfsg3/ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions/Rendering/vtkPVGeometryFilter.cxx, line 1501
vtkPVGeometryFilter (0x55a7cc882a20): Missing original point id arrays.

Unfortunately, no plot actually appears in the window.

I am sorry that I don’t understand paraview better but if you have any suggestions of things to try I am happy to.

please share you dataset.

data.tar.gz (3.2 MB)

Here is a sample data set that has two outputs, and reproduces the problem for me.

This file can be read without error on ParaView 5.7.0

Can you udpate ?

I am running ubuntu and currently the default version of paraview 5.4.

i just downloaded the tared and zipped file for 5.7 and I can try and install that. Is that what you recommend?

You said it cannot be read without error on 5.7.0 so not sure if that is a typo. What version can view it correctly?

i just downloaded the tared and zipped file for 5.7 and I can try and install that. Is that what you recommend?

Yes it is the recommended way to use ParaView

You said it cannot be read without error on 5.7.0

I said it can be read. :slight_smile:

My apologies for misreading.

I am happy to say that I downloaded 5.7, which was very easy, and it works beautifully. Thank you!

1 Like