Questions about the "ParticleTracer" filter

Hello,

I would like to do particle tracking with the “ParticleTracer” filter on a .vtu temporal file.

However, I have several questions:

1. Why do some particles disappear (apparently when they touch a surface?)
    1. Some particles stick to the walls and get stuck. Is it possible to prevent this?

==> Is it possible to make sure that all the particles that are simulated to enter eventually come out?

1. After some iterations, when some particles go out of the calculation domain, Paraview crashes. I have done several experiments and I don’t really understand why.

*The parameters I use are the following: *

*Source point : *
Number of points: 100
Radius = 1

*ParticleTracer : *
*Force reinjection every Nsteps: 0 (only one particle pool is simulated) *
Select Input Vector: velocity

Thanks in advance for your answers!
fdekerme

please share your data

I sent them by private message

Your dataset contains only polydatas, no volumic unstructured grid.

ah ok sorry I sent you the missing elements

I was not able to produce any particle tracing with your dataset, so something is off, however more investigation is needed to understand what is going on I’m afraid.

I have no quick fix to suggest.

Ok I looked, the problem comes indeed from my data : the first timstep (Time = 0) is different from the others and makes the ParticleTracking crash. So I deleted it from the folder.
Sorry, I didn’t understand that the problem came from my data because I was using the temporal interpolator (resample factor = 10) and the simulation crashed only at Time = 11.

Now I have the attached error, and still the 2 following problems:

• Why do some particles disappear (apparently when they touch a surface?)

• Some particles stick to the walls and get stuck. Is it possible to prevent this?

error_report.txt (253.1 KB)

They go out of the domain, surface interaction is not supported by the Particle Tracer

Some particles stick to the walls and get stuck. Is it possible to prevent this?

This is how your data is, no velocity on the walls edge I suppose ?

Yes, you are right.
Apparently neither the LagrangianParticleTracker nor the ParticleTracer is suitable for my case. I will look for a new solution! :thinking:
Thank you very much for your help! :+1: