Reading time series where file name is just number

I’m looking at some older scivis contest data, and the data contains many file time series with files named like 000.vtu, 001.vtu, 002.vtu, 003.vtu,…

I expected the ParaView file browser to recognize these files as a series and group them together so that I could load the group and play them as a time series. But I was surprised to find that ParaView does not group files like this. Apparently, if the file is only a number, it will not be grouped.

So, my main question is, what is the easiest way to load these files as a time series? I tried selecting all the files in the browser and click OK, but instead of loading as a time series, it creates a separate reader for each and loads them all in at the same time. I know I could work around the problem by renaming the files or creating a .series file. But the data has over 100 such time series, each with about 100 files, so modifying the files is a headache.

As a secondary question, is this the desired behavior for ParaView? Is there a reason ParaView should not treat files that are just numbers as a group?

Agreed, but I can’t think of a better way off the top of my head.

ParaView should recognize it as a time series, IMO. I suspect a regex needs adjustment to allow empty strings before the number sequence.

I created an issue for this bug: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/21490

Thanks, @cory.quammen. I was just about to do that, but you beat me to it.

On a related note, is there a reason that if you select multiple files in a browser that they are loaded in different readers instead of a time series?

I think the assumption is that if you select individual files, that means you don’t want them grouped into a time series. I believe files will be read as a time series only if a group is selected in the dialog.

I guess that assumption also assumes that anything that is a time series is grouped. That seems like a brash assumption. What if you had a series of series (e.g. from restarts)? What if the grouping just didn’t put the files together (like now). It would be nice if there was a workaround to treat the multiple selections as a group. Maybe a button in the browser that says “group these files”?

1 Like

Fair point. Selecting files and designating them as a group makes sense. It we implemented that along with the current grouping identification (and ability to expand the group and select individual files from with the group), I think that would give users the power to group or ungroup as needed.

+1. I created an issue for this feature request: https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/-/issues/21495