Remove transparency from .vtk

I work in a biology lab, so Paraview is very new to me. We’ve created .vtk files that represent cells and the blood vessels that surround them in the liver. I’d like to visualize them together, but there seems to be a transparency that I cannot remove. I’ve attached two files as an example. I open each in the same pipeline, and change the display representation to ‘Volume’. Each time it seems as though the vessels between the cell and the camera tend to disappear.

I admit, I’m likely missing a step in loading these into Paraview. A second question I’d like to address is whether these .vtk files with no time data can be used to create a short video by spinning them 360 degrees? I’m sorry if this is a very basic question that has been asked before. I’m struggling to find forum examples with the same file types.

Cell_2064.vtk (1.2 MB) Bile_2064.vtk (1.2 MB)

The volume rendering needs to use opacity, otherwise it would be only an external surface rendering. That said, you can control the opacity in the color map editor

You can animate the camera (I think Orbit mode is what you need), and export this as a video.

1 Like

Welcome to ParaView, Ben!

The problem is that you are using the ‘Volume’ representation on two overlapping volumes, and that is not supported in ParaView. You won’t get a warning, but it will just look weird, as you have noticed.

My recommendation is to extract a contour of the vessels and volume render the cells. Use the Contour filter to extract the vessels. Intermixed surface and volume rendering is supported, and should give you the effect you are looking for, e.g.,

1 Like

Thanks Cory!

This is very helpful to know! Is there anything to do after opening the file in my pipeline that enables the Contour filter? All the filter options are grey-ed out when I load any of our .vtk files.

Clock on the Bile_2064.vtk file in the Pipeline Browser, and the Contour filter should be available.

Also make sure that you clicked the “Apply” button.

1 Like