Should we install "discourse solved" plugin ?

I suggest we install the “discourse solved” plugin.
See https://github.com/discourse/discourse-solved

Where relevant, this would allow us to mark answers.

What do you think ?

I’m neutral. It is not unusual to need several posts to work through an answer to a help request. Which one would get marked as the solution in those cases? Probably none.

Is the expected benefit that people could skip to the post marked as the solution? Or does it allow reputation building?

In a topic with multiple posts, it will help anyone clicking on a topic understand what is the solution without having them read through the entire list of replies associated with the topic.

For example:

See https://discourse.slicer.org/t/automate-fiducial-registration/3061

1 Like

I do tend to use it quite a bit on stackoverflow. I vote we wait and see how the conversations here end up being before we determine if this feature will be useful.

We may more likely need a “Solved” tag for the whole thread.

1 Like

One can “close” a topic, right? Isn’t that the same as “solved”?

Not the same in my opinion. A closed topic can be closed for multiple reasons, the main one being moderation.
A solved topic could be closed as well, but informed potential viewer the a solution is to be found inside.

A “solved” problem might have a better solution that one should be able to add after the initial solution is accepted, so closing it doesn’t seem like the right solution.

One could tag a post with a “solved” tag (or maybe edit the title to add “[SOLVED]”) to mark the entire topic as solved.

I guess it can’t hurt to install the plugin and see how it goes. Unless there is an objection, I’ll ask the system admins to install it.

I guess it can’t hurt to install the plugin and see how it goes. Unless there is an objection, I’ll ask the system admins to install it.

:+1:

Based on my experience in an other Discourse forum, there is was no harm in using the plugin. I think it can only help organize knowledge.

maybe edit the title to add “[SOLVED]”) to mark the entire topic as solved.

Definitively possible and complementary to installing the plugin.

Since discourse relies one the ID at the end of the URL, existing link are still redirected. (tested here)

That said, this should avoided as it disrupts the threading for people using the email interface.

The “discourse solved” plugin has been installed and activated on the categories where it makes sense (e.g., not Announcements).