Should we remove email headers and footers?

When you get email notifications from Discourse for this forum, they currently include a header with the sender’s icon and user name, then the content, then a section with a portion of the content to which the message is a reply, if applicable. A random example from my email client:

What do you think about cutting the header (the section prior to “Thanks for the hint!” in the message body) and the “In Reply To” section to make the messages more concise and more like the old ParaView email lists?

We did the same in discourse.vtk.org and so far no complaints. An example looks like this:

Thoughts?

1 Like

Yes!

I’m a big fan of GitHub’s email formatting where there’s a quick reason why you’re receiving the email (“You are receiving this because you authored the thread.”) and an option to visit/mute that thread.

I think it may be useful to also have the ability to mute single threads rather than just an option to unsubscribe from all emails like shown in the VTK discourse email example.

I don’t think Discourse provides this option.

To me, this looks like a good idea. Lean and mean is always better. :grinning:

1 Like

In the same idea, we should remove the ParaView in ParaView Support category.

https://discourse.vtk.org/t/vtk-support-on-vtk-discourse-feels-overly-repetitve/182

How about changing ParaView Support to Help?

1 Like

I have removed the header and footer from the emails.

1 Like

Now that I have received a few emails with the header and footer removed, I strenuously object. When they were removed, it also removed the handy button/link in the email to take you directly to the discourse page. Now there is no link (other than an unsubscribe link), and it is a hastle to get to the discourse page to answer the question.

Yes, please put it back. It looks ok in the VTK discourse.

Oops, I thought I had modified the template the same way I modified the VTK template, but I did not. It should be fixed now so that you get a “Visit topic” link at the bottom. Thanks for the feedback.

OK. I can verify that the Visit Link button is back on the emails. Thanks.

1 Like