show particle layer by layer

Hi, everyone. How to show particle layer by layer in paraview, and the color in each layer remain constant in various timestep.

Hi! There isn’t a lot of info in your post, but you can do this. With Matlab (for example), create series of files like this:
-file1, file 2, … file n (from t0 to tfinal)
And then each set, for every layer color that you want (probably like 12 groups in the Pipeline Browser). Then you can easily override every group.
I hope I explained myself. I have done this before and I know it will work, but don’t know if is suitable for your files.
Greetings!

Thank you for your valuable guidance. I still don’t know what it means to create a series of files. My understanding is that if I have a file containing 10000 particle information, I will divide them into 10 files, each of which stores information for 1000 particles.

You are in the correct direction. Let me ask you: does your animation consist in a series of ASCII DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID files? I could give you more guidance in that case

Thank you very much. My vtk data format is
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA

1. Every “.vtk” file is a frame of your animation. At first, you have: file_1.vtk, file_2.vtk , … , file_n.vtk ; with “n” the total amount of frames.
  2. Again, at first, each one of these files have all the points that you are considering.
  3. Separate the points population in different “folders”. Now you will have file_1.vtk, file_2.vtk , … , file_n.vtk ; with “n” the total amount of frames, but this is only for a certain type of points (the ones that you want to color).
  4. Repeat the steps and finally you will have (for 10 different colors) 10n files (if n=10, 10n=100). Then, if you load each series (of n files) to the Pipeline Browser separately, you will be able to customize each “layer” easilly. When playing the animation, all them will move accordingly (if you don’t change the scale obviously).

It sounds a bit complicated but it’s actually simple when you have already done it.

i add another explanation maybe easier: imagine you have only 1 point moving, with 100 files to construct the animation. If you load that into the pipeline you can impose the color.
Now, imagine that you have another different point, with (i don’t know) 500 files to construct the animation. If you load that into the pipeline you can impose the color.
The same applies if you have many other points, or if one animation involve many of them.

Really thanks you! It is useful and valueable!

1 Like