Simple web-based slicer that scales - architecture?

hi all,

I am trying to build a minimal prototype that mimics the slicer example : that is to say a very basic GUI that allows user to slice against Z and inspect the different layers in my object. Object is a set of isolated layers, each made of polygons.
I need advice on which architecture to choose : because the slicer all-in-browser-based example won’t scale (millions of points), and following the various posts / advices / examples, I ended up playing with the RemoteView example. But it seems that following that setup, then I need to go for Python development, very tightly coupled with Paraview (hence not leveraging any existing code from the very handy examples .
Also I have explored the sample pvw template but I m unclear on how to leverage it (isnt it another remote view to pvw, that requires Paraview python coding for the GUI) .

Can you please advise on which architecture I should go for ? so but I feel I m going in circles at this point :-).

Thanks a lot
Charlie

The typical structure of my data:

Layers are disjoint :
layers2

Users need to be able to slice and inspect details of each layer individually (slice against Z , and scroll horizontally/vertically) :

Because of your data structure, it might be ok to stick to plain JS and create a filter that only keep the topology of a given z value.

Or pre-process your data to have 1 dataset per slice that you can easily turn them on/off.

For the remote rendering, you will need a server for doing the processing that will control the C++ from Python. It can either be VTK or ParaView. The GUI will always be JS only. The sample pvw show you how to write a server in VTK or PV with the exact same client code.

I’m not sure if I’m making things clearer since your choice is not necessary obvious as each path has it benefits and drawback.

HTH

Thanks Sebastien, I will take a look at these options !! Happy new year ! Charlie